PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin

Bill Dix
03-25-2012, 10:04 AM
It's tough to get anything approaching an eye-level shot of these guys at Barnegat. One usually looks down on them from the jetty. This was out near the end of the jetty, where I spotted a group of them chasing each other around in the water. I found a promising rock above where they were playing and not too far below me, and figured that eventually one of them would want to be top duck and climb up above the others. I focused on my rock, near MFD, and lay on the jetty for 45 minutes before this drake complied. >FF (added a slivver of canvas on three sides to give him some breathing room.) Desaturated bg slightly.

D7000, 500f4, ISO 400, 1/2000s @ f/8 manual, tripod.

Sachin Saraf
03-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Fantastic profile image Bill. It's difficult to expose Slate color and ensure whites are not blown out..You did pretty well...Love the alert pose,HA, details and BG...I would clean the perch if mine. And I know how difficult it is to get eye level shot at Barnegat. Great job.

Frank Schauf
03-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Excellent pose and details.

Doug Brown
03-25-2012, 12:31 PM
<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">Super exposure; these guys are tough! The pose shows off many of the great markings and colors of the bird. I'd add a bit of canvas to the top, bottom, and left.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
03-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Your effort definitely pay off, the eye level really make contact with me (the viewer). Good exposure, details, sharpness, love the pose and beautiful background as well.

Melissa Groo
03-25-2012, 01:36 PM
FAntastic job, Bill! Perfect head angle, EXP, comp, BG. Tack sharp. Such lovely colors too. Beautiful image.

Grace Scalzo
03-25-2012, 01:49 PM
What an excellent image, Bill. You've figured out how to avoid the issues associated with these ducks at Barnegat and come away with a fine image. I could see a looser crop if you have it.

gail bisson
03-25-2012, 02:23 PM
This is excellent, Bill. I like the comp, the HA and all those beautiful blues! No nits at all from me!
Gail

Bill Dix
03-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Thank you all. I appreciate the comments. When I chose my position on the rocks, I hadn't expected a bird to come and pose in such an upright position. I couldn't back up, so he completely filled the frame from toenail to top of head. I added some canvas on three sides (actually, for the bottom, I stole some rock from another frame). It would be difficult to add more at the bottom, but I could certainly give him a little more space on top and left. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ofer Levy
03-25-2012, 07:17 PM
I love this! Excellent image!

laurie golden
03-25-2012, 08:35 PM
I know how difficult these guys are to get period and exposure is another problem. You have done a great job on both. Patience does not always pay off, but it sure did for you this time.

arash_hazeghi
03-26-2012, 03:28 AM
sweet light pose and sharp details well done

Stu Bowie
03-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Hi Bill, your patience paid off. Great view of this fellow, and I do like the colours on him. Good DOF, and the sharpness is spot on.