Melissa Groo
03-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Canon 1D4
500mm +1.4x
Gitzo/Wimberley spread as low as possible

1/8000 sec
ISO 800
f/5.6

Lying on my belly in the mud and water of a Fort Myers, FL beach in Feb, I watched this Marbled Godwit forage for a while. I have plenty of shots of it with its bill in the water, probing, but liked this as it showed the entire bill and the mud that it's bringing up as it seeks for small crustaceans. I love the fact that the upper bill tip is flexible.
Slight crop all around and I cloned out an OOF bird on the right in back.
I appreciate any and all comments.
Thank you for looking.

christopher galeski
03-25-2012, 08:45 AM
very nice image,nice lighting,like the 3 bits of mud or whatever,good detail,nice FG,BG,if mine,I would like a bit more on the right.thanks for showing.

Jim Fenton
03-25-2012, 08:49 AM
Lovely light, love the flat water. I think it looks fine as presented although it might get a tad better with a little more room on the right....just a sliver so there isn't too much empty space as that deters in panos IMHO and this would then be moving toward a pano.

Ofer Levy
03-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Excellent shot Gail! I don't see a need for more room on the right. If anything a slight crop off the top. Needs a tiny CCW rotation IMHO.

Bill Dix
03-25-2012, 09:38 AM
Terrific shot, Melissa. Love the flat water merging with sky, and the mud droplets. Great belly-scraping low angle. I could imagine a tiny bit off the left, similar added to right; and the tiniest CCW rotation. But just fine as posted, IMHO.

Sachin Saraf
03-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Agree with Ofer for slight CCW rotation but apart from that this is perfect IMO. Excellent capture Melissa.

Melissa Groo
03-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks to all for the comments. Here is a repost with slight CCW rotation, and a smidge taken off top and added on right.

Melissa Groo
03-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Excellent shot Gail! I don't see a need for more room on the right. If anything a slight crop off the top. Needs a tiny CCW rotation IMHO.

Ofer, as I respect Gail's photography I don't mind being confused with her but wanted to point out it was me, Melissa!:w3 Thanks for your comment and suggestion.

Frank Schauf
03-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Perfect in every way, Melissa.

gail bisson
03-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Hi Melissa,
It's Gail here!!:bg3: I am flattered to be confused with you.
Terrific image. I have never seen a marbled godwit in real life and am so envious that you saw one (and I was in the area at the same time- go figure). I like the comp of the repost. Lovely low angle and still blue water. The water droplets add as well. IQ is excellent ,
Gail

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
03-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Excellent image, the low angle is perfect, the sharpness and details are great too and the mud off the tip of the bill add to the story. I also the calmness in the water, it really make this beautiful image more beautiful.

Ofer Levy
03-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Ofer, as I respect Gail's photography I don't mind being confused with her but wanted to point out it was me, Melissa!:w3 Thanks for your comment and suggestion.

Oops! Sorry Melissa! I should avoid commenting so late at night....
BTW - this shows you that I comment on the photo regardless who took it....:w3
Love the repost.

Melissa Groo
03-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Oops! Sorry Melissa! I should avoid commenting so late at night....
BTW - this shows you that I comment on the photo regardless who took it....:w3
Love the repost.

no worries, Ofer, I understand completely!

Melissa Groo
03-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Hi Melissa,
It's Gail here!!:bg3: I am flattered to be confused with you.

Thank you Gail--as I was too!

Satish Ranadive
03-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Sweet image.

Robert Holguin
03-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Wonderful image. Excellent pose, love the water drops, wonderful light, and excellent detail.
Well done.

arash_hazeghi
03-26-2012, 03:30 AM
Awesome pose and details. I love the little mud drops.

you nailed this one, technically and aesthetically excellent :cheers:

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-26-2012, 07:17 PM
This is so great! You took care of the rotation that I too saw but wasn't sure about till I saw it mentioned. Love the flying food, light , angle... Just right.