PDA

View Full Version : Reflections in Sepia

Ian McHenry
03-25-2012, 01:44 AM
This image of Victoria Lake in Christchurch was taken just before midday yesterday.
This central city lake, popular for sailing miniature yachts was badly damaged by our 7.1 earthquake in September 2010 but now looks back to its old self.
Details: Pentax K10D with Sigma 18-200 @ 22mm.
Slight straightening, Noiseware @ Landscape setting, Slight sharpening.
Converted to sepia with Faststone plus shadow highlights.
Comments always welcome.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Rachel Hollander
03-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Ian - glad to hear some places are recovering in your beautiful city. I like the sepia tone treatment, particularly in the sky.

TFS,
Rachel

Ian McHenry
03-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks Rachel Appreciate your thoughts & comment. The Christchurch Cathedral is now being demolished as even small aftershocks cause more damage. The central city now has huge gaps and there won't be many tall buildings left shortly. Cheers: Ian Mc

Morkel Erasmus
04-03-2012, 05:04 PM
interesting story here Ian...it's good to see the restoration of landmarks affected by the tragedy.

I'm not a big fan of the colour toning you applied here, and might look at reducing the cast a bit and dodging some of the shadow details in the blacks to enhance them.
IMHO this works as a record shot, but it's not really engaging on any level other than the back-story. I trust you will appreciate my honesty here...:S3:

I look forward to seeing more from your beautiful country...

Ian McHenry
04-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks Markel
Appreciate your honest comments.
I can see where you are coming from and it probably needed some more specific point of interest to draw the eye into the image.
Will have a play with Topaz Adjust for other colour options.
Cheers: Ian Mc