Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Manual mode
1/4000"
F5
ISO 100
Canon 430EX: On, Fired
HH
ACR and CS5

Shot in the light box with the flash aimed straight up.

Cropped, curves, cloned out some imperfections, lightened leaves, smart and high-pass sharpening with an extra round on the yellow center of the flower. I thought about trying to even out the color of the petals but decided to stick with how they really looked.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Hi Ken,
I really like the high key here and the almost 3d effect you got in the center of the flower

Julie Kenward
03-25-2012, 06:37 PM
What a stunner! I want a light box! I also love that 3D look in the center of the flower. You might try pulling back on the yellows to see if the color of the leaf will even out...that might do the trick. Super comp and what a neat image!

Bob Miller
03-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Ken......I like this alot.....loving the softness and that quirky(?) shaped leaf

Allen Sparks
03-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Hi Ken,
Nice high key effect. Really like the 3D look of the flower. well composed.

Juan Carlos Vindas
03-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Very nice one! Ditto all above. Lovely image for sure.

Dennis Bishop
03-27-2012, 12:13 AM
Nicely composed. Although evening out the blues might have complemented the wonderful simplicity of the image, I like them the way they are. My only suggestion would be to use a blue stroke around the frame instead of the black one. My eye keeps wanting to go there.

Ken Childs
03-27-2012, 04:30 PM
What a stunner! I want a light box!
All you need is 4 sheets of white foam board and some masking tape which should set you back less than $10. After a couple of years the tape on mine started to give out so I reinforced it with hot melt glue.

Anita Bower
04-06-2012, 06:48 PM
All you need is 4 sheets of white foam board and some masking tape which should set you back less than $10. After a couple of years the tape on mine started to give out so I reinforced it with hot melt glue.
I thought a light box had translucent sides. Can you post a photo of your lightbox?

Anita Bower
04-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Lovely composition and light. The use of light here is marvelous--gives it an airy feel. I like seeing this little flower large. I wonder what it would look like at f16 or so?

Ken Childs
04-06-2012, 07:49 PM
I thought a light box had translucent sides. Can you post a photo of your lightbox?
Here's a link to the one I'm using.
http://jyoseph.com/blog/diy-light-box-for-product-photography/

Anita Bower
04-07-2012, 05:08 AM
Here's a link to the one I'm using.
http://jyoseph.com/blog/diy-light-box-for-product-photography/
Thanks! Did you have your flash bouncing off the top inside of the box?

Ken Childs
04-07-2012, 06:10 AM
Thanks! Did you have your flash bouncing off the top inside of the box?
Yes, the flash was aimed straight up.

This was a small flower so the flash was on the camera. When I shoot larger subjects, I have to use an off shoe flash cord so I can have the flash in the box while using the camera outside the box. I think Steve has a wireless setup which would be a lot easier to use.