Melissa Groo
03-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Canon 5D2
500mm
Gitzo/Wimberley spread low

ISO 640
1/5000
f/4.0

Taken a couple days ago in a friend's yard. She has wild turkeys coming to her yard (she feeds them), and I had put up a blind there sometime ago, but have turned out not to need it as they are practically tame. There is one tom displaying that I've been working on and will share if I get anything decent.

My settings are a little weird cause I switched over quickly from trying to photograph some turkey hens dustbathing and needed the SS. This young fellow posed in front of me and I had to move fast to take advantage. I'm a sucker for color and he has that in spades. I liked his pose and the tension caused by the turn of the head and neck.

Pulled out the old 5D2 for these guys as they are so close I didn't want the crop factor of the 1D4, and I thought the 5D2 might really deliver on the kinds of rich details turkeys have. What wonderful creatures!

I did not up the SAT or vibrance, he truly was this vivid! Only some minor touch ups. Almost full frame, just a bit off the bottom and right.

Thanks so much in advance for any and all C & C.

Alan Murphy
03-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Love the pose and the BG. A killer image for sure.

Sachin Saraf
03-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Wonderful Image Melissa...beautiful BG and details.

Marina Scarr
03-23-2012, 02:55 PM
You have captured wonderful details and colors here, Melissa. It is sharp, well exposed and I love the pose. The crop is growing on me but looking forward to what others have to say.

Grace Scalzo
03-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Perfect the way that the light falls, along with the pose and background, it's a beauty, Melissa. I'm not sure on the crop either, did you consider cropping from the bottom to right where the leg starts?

Frank Schauf
03-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Excellent pose and details, Melissa.

Melissa Groo
03-24-2012, 07:37 AM
Perfect the way that the light falls, along with the pose and background, it's a beauty, Melissa. I'm not sure on the crop either, did you consider cropping from the bottom to right where the leg starts?

Thanks for your comments and suggestion, Grace. Here's a crop as you proposed. I think I like it better, seems cleaner now.

Peter Seidel
03-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Terrific detail. Normally I'd crop something like this will a little more room, but I think the tight crop works well.

Pete

Marina Scarr
03-24-2012, 08:52 PM
I like this crop better but would suggest you try one with more room on top and left for comparison.

Melissa Groo
03-25-2012, 07:52 AM
Thanks M, have done so here. The canvas add on the left was a bit tricky due to the feathers so don't look too closely!