PDA

View Full Version : Flower Spider with Prey

John Cooper
04-13-2008, 05:33 AM
It would seem this small flower spider has bitten off more that it can chew!!!

Canon EOS 3, Canon 100mm macro, ISO 100, natural light, F22, Tripod

adcolon
04-13-2008, 07:34 AM
Great photo !!

Robert O'Toole
04-13-2008, 08:17 AM
Great image, the plane of focus is just about perfect, the BG is awesome and the diagional comp is great.

About the only thing I would change if this was my image, would be to tone down the stick a little so it doesnt stand out so much, would take seconds in PS and really help balance the tones in the image.

Robert

Steve Maxson
04-13-2008, 05:17 PM
A very cool photo, John. I agree with Robert about the stick. These little spiders can take down some pretty large prey items sometimes.

John Cooper
04-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Great image, the plane of focus is just about perfect, the BG is awesome and the diagional comp is great.

About the only thing I would change if this was my image, would be to tone down the stick a little so it doesnt stand out so much, would take seconds in PS and really help balance the tones in the image.

Robert

Thanks Robert - yes agree about the stick. It was even brighter but I don't think my PS technique achieved the desired result.
I selected the stick with the lasso tool and tried to darken in Levels. This looked a bit artificial so ended up using Shadow/Highlight tool. This toned down the brightness but not enough. Any suggestions appreciated!!

Mike Moats
04-15-2008, 04:52 AM
Hey John, wel done on the details and excellent BG. Only nit would be the stick came out a tad brite.

David Steele
04-15-2008, 06:06 AM
John, I wouldn't overcomplicate the PS work. What I've done here is select the stick and used brightness/contrast to reduce both the brightness and the contrast. I've also cropped the image, mainly to reduce the impact of the stick.

Gus Cobos
04-15-2008, 10:06 AM
WOW, very powerfull image John,
Like it...:D Love the action and composition...:cool: