PDA

View Full Version : Horseshoe Bend Revisited

Michael Pancier
04-13-2008, 12:05 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/2408778557_5dbcec638c_o.jpg

Got to the Bend right before sunrise but made a tad late as the sun was starting to illuminate the background walls of the canyon.

I took a 3 image HDR taken at 2Ev apart and added a Grad filter in photoshop for this result.

5d+17-40L
f/18
multiple shutter speeds

chris Bycroft
04-13-2008, 12:19 AM
Hi Michael.

Stunning evening light - great photo. Were the hills on the skyline sloping like that when you were there? It looks like it is sloping to the right hand side of the photo by my eyes? The river looks like it is doing the same. May be a slight straightening of the skyline would improve the shot a bit. I don't think you will lose anything at the bottom end of the photo if you do that. Otherwise a very nice piece of work.

Cheers,
Chris

chris Bycroft
04-13-2008, 04:39 AM
Sorry, I might be wrong with the hills on the horizon. I was just looking at some other images of this site and they were sloping away like yours - so that is probably the way it is. I was looking as I am planning a trip to Nevada/Utah/Arizona and Colorado later in the year and was just looking at some areas to visit. Horseshoe Bend may be a stopoff on the way for me.

Michael Pancier
04-13-2008, 07:34 AM
Sorry, I might be wrong with the hills on the horizon. I was just looking at some other images of this site and they were sloping away like yours - so that is probably the way it is. I was looking as I am planning a trip to Nevada/Utah/Arizona and Colorado later in the year and was just looking at some areas to visit. Horseshoe Bend may be a stopoff on the way for me.

May have been my angle to the light. I had balancing head and bubble level on this.

If you go, it's better as an afternoon shot.

Roman Kurywczak
04-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Hi Michael,
My eye is drawn to the bright area that is lit by the morning sun. Some toning down may help. If you try i........t repost so we can compare. Did Robert ask you about doing an educational piece on HDR? If you write something up we can point to it for others to learn. Chris...........this shot also works on overcast day or one with lots of clouds.......especially when they block out the sun.
Back to you Michael........classis comp.........I've stood there! Hope the tone down works,
Roman

Michael Pancier
04-13-2008, 09:02 AM
here it is with further PS adjustments.

David Kennedy
04-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Michael,
I think Roman is onto something--that the sky and the red rocks are distracting from the bend. I thought I'd mess with it a little--at the very least I had fun, but maybe something like this appeals to you, too? Who knows, my brain might be wired too much towards the pano crop :D

Roman Kurywczak
04-13-2008, 02:18 PM
I like your sky correction Michael. I might like the combo now if you use your sky correction and Daivd's contrast/color boost..........maybe not quite as much...but your greens can definitely use it.....i think it will be right on!
Roman

Robert Amoruso
04-13-2008, 11:21 PM
I like the canyons colors in the fist post by Michael and the sky correction in the second post. Combine the two for a real winner. I hope to go here some day.

Grady Weed
04-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Roberts suggestion to me is the most practical. the original canyon colors and the toned down sky in the repost are spot on, not too saturated. the combined two are a killer combo. David, the pano look is not my kind of crop here for this image. It makes it look cut in half. I wish I could go there to take my own version. Thanks for the uplifting image share.