PDA

View Full Version : Northern Shoveler drake among the oranges

Jack Breakfast
03-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Greetings, folks...here is a simple northern shoveler drake...taken last November with the Canon 7D & 200mm f2.8L + 1.4 - iso250, f4, 1/1000.
I eagerly await your comments and ideas...I've cropped off the top and bottom (ave ave the panoramic crop) and there's been a slight levels tweak.
Many thanks for your consideration...I do hope you'll share your thoughts...
All good things,
Uncle Breakfast

gail bisson
03-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Very nice Jack. I like the complimentary colors in the water. I would put the bird lower in the frame and increase the brightness a bit. I like the little orange feet. HA is good and makes up for the fact that the duck is a bit past you.
Gail

Jack Breakfast
03-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Yes indeed Gail, the shoveler's feet are pretty sweet. He was close enough for me to grab him. Didn't even notice that the duck was past me; I suppose my eyes don't see that way. I like the idea of increasing the brightness too, that's a good one. Thanks for your comments, Gail, they are most insightful...
Oh! I forgot to mention that I removed a few specks from the water...

laurie golden
03-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Jack,

I love the colors and you have done a great job removing spots and the pano crop. The bird is sharp and the little out of place feather on his back is nice. I do agree with Gail that it might be better to have more water behind him and less in front if you can crop it differently - I know this is not always possible. We have not seen the original, so maybe you have already cropped it the best way.

Jack Breakfast
03-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Many thanks, Laurie...I wish I had more room, but I don't! Life goes on!

Robert Holguin
03-22-2012, 12:49 AM
Very nice shot. Love the water color, great pose, and very nice detail.
Well done.

arash_hazeghi
03-22-2012, 03:09 AM
nice pose and light good details, a lower angle if possible would improve this further

Jack Breakfast
03-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Thanks folks...ah the low-angle police is back again...Lieutenant Hazeghi has busted me! At this point I refuse to lie face-down in mud, but I'm not saying i won't get there...I've seen other photographers do it and I'm crazy enough to try it...in this particular case I got as low as I could, kneeling in mud on the bank. I'm going to start a new thread soon and I'll call it "Will you lie face-down in mud for a better duck shot?"

Robert Rommel
03-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Nice image here! Love the oranges in the background. You got great light on this drake which can be very hard with this species when the males are in breeding regalia.