03-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Here's another from my Monument Valley trip in February

Canon 7D
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 @ 50mm HH
1/640 sec f/7.1 ISO 400
Levels, sharpening, and crop for composition in CS5

Rachel Hollander
03-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Ian - rich tones and color and the horses look good. Is that a fence or building behind the horses? I wish it wasn't there but not a major problem.

TFS,
Rachel

Hilary Hann
03-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Amazing colour and richness with these monuments and having the horse silhouettes is a nice touch, although having them all separated would have been even better. The horses give an old west feel to the image, for me anyway. Would agree with Rachel regarding the sheds.

Ian Cassell
03-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks, Rachel and Hilary. The sheds didn't bother me, but that's the nice thing about having an impartial observer. I'll try and clone them out and see how it works. The colors in Monument Valley at sunup are incredible.

Dave Mills
03-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Hi, Another idea...

Ian Cassell
03-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks, Dave. That's actually another crop I tried, but wasn't too happy with the 'three sisters' dead center. I'd be curious what others think too because, frankly, I like them both and am undecided.

Morkel Erasmus
03-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Ian, I love the light on the cliffs/buttes at the back. The horses are a tad dark for my taste, but that being said the image has a stark graphic quality that draws me to it.
Dave's crop is nice in that it eliminates the horses that were not adding much IMHO, yet it loses the nice cliff face at the back. I'm 50/50 between the two, honestly :w3

Robert Amoruso
03-30-2012, 03:57 AM
Ian, I love the light on the cliffs/buttes at the back. The horses are a tad dark for my taste, but that being said the image has a stark graphic quality that draws me to it.
Dave's crop is nice in that it eliminates the horses that were not adding much IMHO, yet it loses the nice cliff face at the back. I'm 50/50 between the two, honestly :w3

I have to agree with Morkel. I think I prefer the OP crop.