PDA

View Full Version : Canon 600mm parts help

Doug West
03-21-2012, 12:42 PM
I have a non IS Canon 600mm F4 lens.

The lens hood is ET-161 II...which broke (plus, I can't find it).

On ebay I searched for ET-160 and found this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330545484279?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The description in the ad mentions it was for a 200 2L USM lens.

Canon says the ET-160 is compatible with the 600 IS.

Did the ET-160 hood come on the 200 and 600?

The bigger question would be, would that part listed be compatible with my non IS 600?

Or...does anyone else have any ideas on attaching the hood? Right now I'm using strips of velcro
to hold it on.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
Doug

Ron Metz
03-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Doug,

That is a VERY high price for that Canon hood lock. Suggestion: Pay a little more and get the Aquatech compact hood. Here is their site: http://www.aquatech.net/Soft-Hood-ASHM.php I do not have one but I know three bird photographers that do and they love it. Especially for travel. Good luck.

Ron

Doug West
03-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks Ron...everything on this lens is high price. I was going to chip off
a flake of white paint and sell it for a $100 :)

I was looking at the soft hood (the large) and to make sure I understand
this right...its actually a hood and not a cover that covers up the front of the lens?

Doug

Ron Metz
03-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Doug,

It is a hood that replaces the original Canon hood. The really great thing about it is that you can store the lens when you travel w/o the hood. This hood folds flat and you can just put it in your regular travel bag etc. Now, I do understand that it is a bit difficult putting a rain cover over it because it is not smooth like the Canon hood. However, the photographers mentioned earlier stated that initially it is a bit of a challenge with the rain cover but once you put it on a few times it becomes much easier. They also mentioned that you need to be careful if you are prone to resting you camera and lens on the hood (face down) because it is not quite as strudy as the original solid hood. I suggest that you contact Aquatech and verify that the large will fit your lens. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ron

Doug West
03-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Ordered it from B&H...no more velcro-ing my lens...yea!

Thanks again Ron.

Doug

Doug West
03-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Don't know if you're still following this Ron...but just received my soft lens hood today.
This is exactly what I needed!

I'll probably order their soft cap next.

Doug