PDA

View Full Version : Variegated Fairy-wren (Malurus lamberti)

Derek Willcox
03-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Its been a while since i have put a pic up for critique i have found my skills up and down lately
Taken at Silverton NSW
Canon 1D IV EF600mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x Aperture priority
SS 1 / 800 F8 ISO 400 Auto white balance
Cloned out branches sharpened using Nik software increased levels NR using Nik software and tried to add a catch light
a bit centred but was full capture with a slight crop and increased colours a little bit

Stu Bowie
03-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Hi Derek, good angled pose, and this fellow certainly has an array of different colours. You have a great smooth BG there. If this were mine, I would move him up in the frame. With regards to the sharpening, I feel you have overdone it, as the whole body is very crispy - evidence of oversharpening. If your image was tack sharp in camera, use the sharpening tool sparingly in your pp work. You should see the fine balance between enough, and too much. Hope that helps. :w3

Arthur Morris
03-21-2012, 10:59 AM
I'd say your skills were up for this one. As Stu suggested, more of a pano crop would work very nicely as there is lots of room at the top that is not doing anything.... And yes to a bit over-sharpened. Love the bird, the colors, the BKGR, and especially the bird angled towards you pose with the perfect head angle. Way to go.

Frank Schauf
03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Beautiful image. Great pose, bg and details.

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-21-2012, 02:19 PM
agree with Artie and Stuart's suggestion. what a bird. great BG and excellent subject angle. Liked this one a lot.

Sachin Saraf
03-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Wow! What a beautiful bird..IQ looks excellent and I agree with suggested crop by Artie. Great job.

gail bisson
03-21-2012, 03:55 PM
What a lovely bird. I agree with all of the above suggestions. Please do a repost,
Gail

Derek Willcox
03-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Thank you all everybody's suggestions have helped some times i have problems telling if it is over sharp
heres a repost with everybody ideas

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-21-2012, 07:20 PM
I much prefer the pano. Great colors and details. Repost sharpening better too

Ian McHenry
03-22-2012, 03:45 AM
Really neat repost. You are fortunate with the different multi-hued Aussie wrens. Really special. Cheers: Ian Mc

Arthur Morris
03-22-2012, 05:39 AM
Very sweet. Much nicer comp and better on the sharpening. I'd have gone with just a bit more room above the bird.

Ofer Levy
03-22-2012, 06:28 AM
Sharp, nice shooting angle and pose. I am afraid this image doesn't do justice with this stunning bird. This male is molting and lost most of his beautiful plumage, light was a bit harsh which didn't help either. Here is a more traditional crop instead of the pano which doesn't work for me. Had to add some canvas on the left, top and bottom.

Derek Willcox
03-22-2012, 05:14 PM
thanks ofer like i said iam not perfect