PDA

View Full Version : My Stick (2)

Tom Rambaut
03-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Another frame of the Pied Cormorant trying to pick the stick ( I think it is tree bark ) up out of the water.

1D MK4, 500mm + 1.4ext, 1/2000 @ 5.6, ISO 400, Tripod, manual mode.

Thanks Tom

Bob Miller
03-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Tom...fine image with good detail and color along with good head position. You might try to bring just a bit more texture into the whites. It would also be nice to see some texture in the wood but judging from the light in probably isn't there.

Randy Stout
03-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Tom:

I like this one a lot, wonderful display of his bill, eye and feather details on back. Fine shooting angle.

I would def. work on the whites just a bit. They don't appear blown, as I can still some detail. I might try reducing the whites to about 240, which did so some additional texture when I tried it.

Cheers

Randy

Frank Schauf
03-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Beautiful portrait and eye contact. The White is a bit too bright for me.

Tom Rambaut
03-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Hi Randy - I looked at the original RAW file unadjusted and there are spots of clipping. In my master TIFF file the whites look ok but the jpeg for web seems to be brighter.

Bob - I had to underexpose the wood as I did not want to blow the whites out of the water.

Robert Rommel
03-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Fantastic image here Tom! Great composition and angle on this one! This is my favorite by far of the Pied Cormorant images you posted! I agree on trying to tone down the whites here. If you are going from an AdobeRGB TIFF to a jpeg you are saving for the web, it will convert to the sRGB color space. The sRGB color space is smaller and often will clip whites (or colors) that aren't clipped in AdobeRGB. So you will have to reduce the range before saving (you can convert to sRGB yourself before saving to see if it will clip). Not sure if that's what is going on here, but it is a possibility.