PDA

View Full Version : Theme Shoveller drake in eclipse plumage

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-20-2012, 02:46 PM
40D. 400 f5.6L at f/6.3. iso 400. 1/2000s.

Karl's excellent Shoveller shot prompted me to search for one in recent files. I think this one fits the theme quite well. I know there aren't many details in the black feathers. I was protecting the whites and the leg. will go back to raw file and see if I can bring out some more. All comments welcome.

Tom Rambaut
03-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Lovley low angle and light. The BG is killer too. Love the black bill and the green head colour. HA is spot on. Only issue is some of the white areas seem a bit hot?

Doug Brown
03-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Great eye contact and nice sharpness. Whites do look a little hot, and as you pointed out there may be more detail in the blacks. Otherwise very nice!

Randy Stout
03-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Kaustubh:

Great shooting angle, display of bill, BG, eye contact, BG.

Agree about the whitest areas and the blacks, but it presents very well.

The leg/foot showing is a nice bonus.

Cheers

Randy

Karl Egressy
03-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Perfect HA, eye contact and details. The sharpness is pretty good and the composition is very nice, Kaustubh.
I was shooting some more of them today. I was sitting low my wife was standing. You can guess who got the flight shot.

Dave Leroy
03-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Great looking shooting angle and your classic bg. For what it is worth, Shovellers would seem to be tough birds to get some detail in their full color range without some flash.
A really nice pose.

Stu Bowie
03-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Hi KD, good low angle of capture, with a good HA. I do like the overall colours, especially on the head, and thats a great BG you have there.

Frank Schauf
03-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Lovley low angle and eye contact.

Robert Holguin
03-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Wonderful image. Superb low angle as usual, great light, background is wonderful, and well composed.
Well done.

Robert Rommel
03-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Great angle and lovely background on this Shoveller drake. Perfect composition and head angle too! As others have mentioned the breast whites do seem a little hot. I know from experience that with this bird it is extremely, extremely difficult to capture the full dynamic range. I think you got it here though if you go back to the raw and recover the whites a little.