PDA

View Full Version : A Tiny Landscape of Survival

Jeffrey Sipress
04-12-2008, 10:10 PM
I was delighted to find this scene in the Anza-Borrego Desert, in southern California. I spent some time finding the subject isolation I was after, and carefully set up to shoot straight down. It was already a sunny day, but this was in the shade of a huge bluff. The perfect light! I almost couldn't go wrong, and managed to nail the shot to my satisfaction.

1Ds, 24-70L, can't remember the settings.

http://machinearts.com/fredphotos/flowercracks.jpg

John Cooper
04-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Yes Jeffrey you should be very pleased with this capture!!! I love the stark, patterned BG that contrasts so well with the colourful flower. My only suggestion would be to place the flower slightly higher (or lower) on the ROT. But very nice as is!!!

Robert O'Toole
04-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Great color and great pattern, agree with John on the ROT suggestion. Definately different, not your average seen everyday type of close up image.

Robert

Jeffrey Sipress
04-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks, guys.

I am very happy with the placement of the plant. It generally conforms to the rule of thirds, but I don't use a micrometer to always put subjects exactly at the third. It's a guideline, and I stuck with it enough to meet the principle.

Robert O'Toole
04-13-2008, 01:36 PM
You do have a point Jeffrey,

The entire plant is well placed with the ROT now that I look closely, but the flower (to me this is the subject) is only just off center.

But this is just a personal preference anyway, the image is great as is, good job strictly ROT placement or not :)

Robert

Chris Ober
04-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Your patience paid off. Well done. I think it should be more toward the lower left but that's no big deal.

Fabs Forns
04-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Lovely composition, I like it a lot :)

John Cooper
04-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks, guys.

I am very happy with the placement of the plant. It generally conforms to the rule of thirds, but I don't use a micrometer to always put subjects exactly at the third. It's a guideline, and I stuck with it enough to meet the principle.

Hi Jeffrey, Agree with Robert's comments re the ROT's. In the end its what pleases you , the photographer, that counts. Our suggestions are personal tastes that we would have applied if we took the photo ;)

Jeffrey Sipress
04-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks again, John. I do not disagree with these comments. They are valid. Fortunately, photography is an interpretative artform!

David Kennedy
04-13-2008, 11:44 PM
I think the composition is very strong as presented. I love the care with the cracked mud. Nicely done!

Ed Vatza
04-14-2008, 04:07 AM
I think the position of the flower has been sufficiently covered and besides it doesn't really bother me. I do find the composition to be excellent. The stark contrast of life (the flower) and death (dried mud background) is truly arresting. The colors look good. I like the whole image. Very nice.

Mike Moats
04-15-2008, 04:49 AM
Hey Jeffrey, I love everything about it. Great contrast of the colors against the earthtones.