PDA

View Full Version : Kopjies

Hilary Hann
03-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Photographed on the edge of the plateau overlooking Lake Eyasi on the southernmost reaches of the Serengeti eco system.
5D; 24-105mm @ 32mm; 1/60; f10; ISO 200

Don Railton
03-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Hello Hillary

Nicely executed image, but I find my eye looking for something that's not there... I might consider cropping a bit of the top, or during composition, putting the lone tree on the LH lower third intersection and maybe going in tighter on it. Finally I think the image contrast could be lifted just a little..

regards

DON

Robert Amoruso
03-19-2012, 07:18 PM
If you did any crop, I would suggest from the bottom. The clouds are way more interesting and with the "big sky" look, why remove that. Crop from bottom just above the main letters in your name. I would agree that a slight contrast boost (I tried it) would be an improvement.

Hilary Hann
03-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks Don and Robert, I'll have another look at the crop and contrast.

Morkel Erasmus
03-20-2012, 05:55 AM
I like the perspective and the clarity in detail here Hilary. Could definitely use more "oomph"...
Good suggestions made by Robert. Would like to see a repost with those implemented.

Bob Miller
03-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Hi Hillary....very nicely composed! The lone tree on the left really helps balance the image

Rachel Hollander
03-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Hilary - nicely seen. I too like the lone tree and the dramatic clouds. Looking forward to seeing Robert's suggestions implemented.

TFS,
Rachel

Ed Cordes
03-20-2012, 10:12 PM
I think the clouds are super. So, a bit off the bottom would be great. I also agree more contrast will make it stand out.

Hilary Hann
03-20-2012, 11:07 PM
cropped and adjusted contrast. Too much? I was listening to some rather strong photo editing music ..... :2eyes2:

Morkel Erasmus
03-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Looks great to my eyes! Only nit now is the blue in the sky is very dark - did you use a CP? Even if so, I might remove blacks from the blue/cyan channel in selective colour?
:t3

Hilary Hann
03-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Morkel, I told you it was the editing music! I liked it so left it in but easy to remove. It came from using a b&w luminosity adjustment layer, moving the colour sliders to increase contrast. I didnt need to increase this channel, but it suited my mood.

Thanks for looking at at the repost.

Rachel Hollander
03-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Hilary - well done on the repost. I don't mind the dark blue though probably not very realistic :S3:.

TFS,
Rachel

Hilary Hann
03-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks Rachel. You are probably right re the unrealistic look of the dark sky but some days realism is over rated! :w3 But I will tone it down if I decide to use the image for anything.

Don Railton
03-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Much better Hillary, and I like the clouds, crank up the volume more......

DON

Hilary Hann
03-22-2012, 12:08 AM
Music is the creative catalyst for many things! :bg3:

Thanks Don. You're in Perth, do you see much of the work of Christian Fletcher and Tony Hewitt? Love their landscapes.

Don Railton
03-22-2012, 01:26 AM
Yes, there is a shop/studio you can visit for Christian anyway. Not heard of Tony Hewitt however but will look him up...

Marc Mol
03-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Amazing sky with nice detail Hilary, I think I prefer something between your OP and the RP for mine.
TFS

Hilary Hann
03-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Thanks Marc, I think you're right.

Doug Zoern
03-24-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm going to be the odd person out on this one, maybe that's why I like the tree out to the side.

I like the OP better. I'd actually like to see more foreground to draw the viewer into the scene more.
I'd also like to see more on the right to finish off that side of the kopje. To me this seems clipped,
kind of like clipping off a wing tip. I do like the warmer greens in the RP.

The scene has the feel of being early in the rainy season. When I first looked at the OP I could smell
the rain and feel the cool moist breeze rolling across the the plains after the afternoon rains passed.
I could sense the relief from the rains having started. I was ready to join in the sundowners.

Really brought back some wonderful memories and makes me long to return.