PDA

View Full Version : Bison and Calf

Sid Garige
03-18-2012, 09:12 PM
A story of survival in harsh winter Yellowstone. This bison and her calf were separated from the herd making the hard journey on their own.
Canon 7D 100-400mm
F11 1/800 ISO 640

Ken Watkins
03-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Sid,

Marvelous capture here, raised feet add a lot.

I wonder if it maybe possible to lighten the head of Mum just a tad?

Marc Mol
03-19-2012, 01:48 AM
Beautiful complimentary mountain scenery and lighting here Sid, agree on a touch more light on mum's head if possible?

Andrew Merwin
03-19-2012, 10:21 AM
You're right Sid, it does show the harsh winter conditions of YNP and this is a winter with very low snow cover. I do wish the fence was not there.

Steve Kaluski
03-19-2012, 01:31 PM
An excellent example Sid in shooting wide, love it. :cheers:

Good depth of detail, colour and I really like the way you have used the backdrop to create the layers, depth and space in the image. Having the trees casting a shadow across the path of the two is a nice touch and good vision on your behalf. Just wonder if the whole crop should move up a fraction, just to give a little more space between the peak and the trim of the image?

Congrats on an excellent image.

TFS
Steve

Stephen Earle
03-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Strong composition here and beautiful colours. I'm not to fond of the fence in the background though.

Tom Graham
03-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Agree with Steve, very nice, except for fence. (Of course the fence could be cloned out).
And perhaps would prefer the light direction from 3/4 front, rather than 3/4 rear?
Tom

Robert Amoruso
03-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Sid,

Some shadow/highlight adjustment on the lower 35% dark tones will make a world of difference on the dark tones on the buff. I am good with the top crop, otherwise I agree with Steve's assessment.

Rachel Hollander
03-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Sid - I really like the layers of rolling mountains and hills in the bg. Nice exp and placement of the bisons in frame. I also wish the fence wasn't there.

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
03-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Nice environment photo, Sid, I, too, like the wide angle.

Steve Canuel
03-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Love the light and the scenic BG here Sid. Hope they found the herd as winter survival up there is tough enough.

Morkel Erasmus
03-20-2012, 04:02 AM
Fabulous setting here, Sid, and love the light on them. Also not crazy about the fence...but knowing you there was no other way to frame this without including it?
I too think there might be some latent detail in mom's head that can be extracted.

Sid Garige
03-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Sid,

Marvelous capture here, raised feet add a lot.

I wonder if it maybe possible to lighten the head of Mum just a tad?

Thanks Ken. Yes, valuable suggestion. I should put little more light on mum's face.

Sid Garige
03-20-2012, 10:29 AM
You're right Sid, it does show the harsh winter conditions of YNP and this is a winter with very low snow cover. I do wish the fence was not there.

Thanks Andrew. aesthetically, fence is kind of deal breaker in this image.

Sid Garige
03-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Just wonder if the whole crop should move up a fraction, just to give a little more space between the peak and the trim of the image?
Steve

Steve,

Completely agree with you. Unfortunately, there is no more space on the top of the frame. At one point I even thought of cropping a bit off of the peak for same reason. Lessons learned I guess. Next time.

D. Robert Franz
03-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Interesting seeing the orange calf and the fresh snow.... All good except the dreaded research fence...........

Andrew Merwin
03-20-2012, 12:49 PM
… the dreaded research fence...........

At least they don't have to collar the fence in order to find it. :t3 I can't help but wonder how much research is necessary to understand wildlife & fences. :bg3:

Sid Garige
03-20-2012, 04:03 PM
At least they don't have to collar the fence in order to find it. :t3 I can't help but wonder how much research is necessary to understand wildlife & fences. :bg3:

Andrew,

I will post a picture of total B*S* research attempt to night.

Andrew Merwin
03-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Andrew,

I will post a picture of total B*S* research attempt to night.

That's cool Sid. I will look forward to it.

Ken Watkins
03-21-2012, 06:04 AM

Andrew,

This has to be both the funniest and truest comments I have ever seen here, very well done.