PDA

View Full Version : Postman hanging out on the croton

Randy Stout
03-18-2012, 09:02 PM
I try to get to the local butterfly event a couple of times each season, and was able to go 2 days ago. Lots of nice subjects, but poor lighting, so very much dependent on my R1C1 flash set up. With so little ambient light, my friend and I had to resort to artificial backgrounds to keep everything from going black in the BG.

D700 Sigma 180 f/16 1/400 sec ISO 400 manual R1C1 flashes

Post: Selective sharpening, modest crop from left. I thought about cropping in further from the left but liked the swoop of the leaf.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

I really enjoyed the outing.

Cheers

Randy

Cheryl Slechta
03-19-2012, 06:04 AM
Randy, I like the leaf color matching the butterfly. I could see a crop from the left but I see what you mean about the curve.:S3:

Julie Kenward
03-19-2012, 06:49 PM
I also like the matching plant/bf combo. I am not extremely fond of the square crop in this case but I can see why you went with it. Nice focus on both the plant and the butterfly.

Ed Cordes
03-20-2012, 10:00 PM
square crop is OK to me. However, I do wish there were more canvas on the right. Other than that I love the colors and detail.

Ken Childs
03-21-2012, 02:38 PM
The leaf and the bfly are a great match....finding complimenting colors like this is great when available. As it is now, it feels too centered for my tastes so I would go with that crop from the left....I'm not sure that more canvas is needed on the right but if you decide to go that route, it will be easy enough to stretch out that nice BG. As the head of the antennae police, it is my duty to suggest that you do a little more sharpening and/or edge cleanup on the antennae. :bg3:

jack williamson
03-22-2012, 04:04 PM
This is good Randy, the BF is nice and sharp with complimentary colors on the leaf, the bg is great.

Jack

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Hey Randy, How beautiful is that? Amazing detail, beautiful light and bg

Marina Scarr
03-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Stunning, Randy. Love the details and colors in this one. Crop works fine in this case.