PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise back in New England

allanrube
03-18-2012, 02:44 PM
I posted a few sunrises from my Florida vacation last month. I wen to the beach this morning to capture a New England sunrise. I was able to use neutral density filters to blur the water. :S3:

D3X 24-120 at 38 mm. iso 100. 2 image hdr 3 seconds and 5 seconds at f/11.

I cropped a bit to elongate the image and get the sun near the rule of third point.

Morkel Erasmus
03-18-2012, 04:24 PM
A lovely scape here Allan. :cheers:
I love the blurred water, the serene colour palette and the fact that the rocks don't jut out above your horizon line.
I do think you could perhaps try to recover a bit more detail in the very dark parts on top of the rocks, just to get the exposure there equal to the rest of the rocks?

Jay Gould
03-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Simply lovely, and to make it better IMHO

A hint of CW, and

the bottom line on the lower left where it goes dark along the frame line, I would use the content-aware tool and run a thin line along that frame line to eliminate the darkness; it just catches my eye. If you do on onscreen scroll about half-way between the bottom frame and your signature you will see what the change on the left side that I prefer.

allanrube
03-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Thank you for the comments. I think the horizon looks pretty level to me. I did rotate it some.
There is detail in the rocks on the full size tiff. Something lost in resizing and saved as level 9 jpg.

Jay, I do see what you mean.

Morkel Erasmus
03-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Thank you for the comments. I think the horizon looks pretty level to me. I did rotate it some.
There is detail in the rocks on the full size tiff. Something lost in resizing and saved as level 9 jpg.

Jay, I do see what you mean.

I would agree - looks level to me!:bg3:

Jay Gould
03-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Hi Allan, I first took the image into LR4, hit "R" to open up the level pallet. When that is open, do you work in LR so that I am preaching to the choir (?), if you put your cursor outside of the image and click it brings up a small pattern grid that you can use to level. I gave this a .19 CW. The screen shot shows how that is done.

I then went into CS5 to use the content-aware fill tool to eliminate any dark spots along the bottom frame. I wanted the feel of endlessness and the dark spots were for me small breaks in the smoothness of the water.

BTW, taking it into CS5 resulted in my seeing a halo around the rocks which I now see in the OP. Caused by sharpening?

Hope you don't mind what I did.

Hilary Hann
03-18-2012, 11:24 PM
I just think that this is a lovely landscape and if you say that there is detail in rocks in the tiff, then I wouldn't change anything. I love the texture of the water, and the colour palette is beautiful. I like the strong diagonal line made by the rocks.

Angelika Schauf
03-19-2012, 04:40 AM
A beautiful picture with a great atmosphere.

allanrube
03-19-2012, 06:39 AM
Jay, thanks for all you have done with this photo. I appreciate it. I definitely will take a bit off the bottom as you suggested. In fact, I think I went back to my saved tiff last night and did this already.
I will revisit the need for rotation. My low tech method of leveling when dealing with the horizon is to open a new folder on my Mac and stretch it so it is as wide as the image. Then I place the folder in front of the image and raise it so that that top of the folder is a tiny bit below the horizon, trying to see if I see as much sea all the way across the image. :S3:
I only use PS CS5, except in this case where I merged the two images in Photomatix Pro 4. I can't remember which preset I used, but I dialed down the strength to offset halos. This is a constant problem in PM pro causing me to use merging less and less all the time.

Robert Amoruso
03-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Allan,

Perfect use of a low shutter speed to achieve an attractive look to the water.

Dave Woeller
03-20-2012, 07:37 AM
Very nice feel to this image. I also like the fact that the rocks do not break the plane of the horizon for this one. Some great thoughts and comments above. Love those slow shutters.

Bob Miller
03-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Hi Allan....I am a fan of long exposures and this is one of the best I have seen. Congrats!

Rachel Hollander
03-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Allan - beautiful colors and the comp works really well. Love the blurred water.

TFS,
Rachel

Ed Cordes
03-20-2012, 10:25 PM
I really like the blurred water and soft colors. Rocks look OK on my monitor.

James Fuller
03-21-2012, 10:45 AM
this is fantastic! i love the way the rock leads my eye to the sun.

dankearl
03-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Gorgeous, I would not change a thing from the OP.

Andrew McLachlan
03-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Hi Allan, beautifully blurred water, love the rocks and the colors in the sky too!

Dennis Bishop
03-27-2012, 12:36 AM
. . . I merged the two images in Photomatix Pro 4. I can't remember which preset I used, but I dialed down the strength to offset halos. This is a constant problem in PM pro causing me to use merging less and less all the time.

I don't find haloing to be a problem with this image. In fact, I think I like everything just the way it is. One pretty effective way to deal with haloes in Photomatix is to bring the appropriate original exposure in as a layer. Then, using the right blend mode and, perhaps, some masking can often take care of it.