PDA

View Full Version : A fine wood duck drifting along

Jack Breakfast
03-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Salutations, birdpeople...going through the hard drive I unearthed some photos from September that seem new to me now. I'd love to hear your thoughts...it's my pleasure to present a cozy little wood duck to you here...I'm fond of it as is (some will protest over the angle) but will certainly welcome your opinions and ideas! Taken with the Canon 7D and 200mm f2.8L. iso800, 1/500, f2.8...there wasn't much sun on this particular day, as evidenced by the technical details. But no matter; I was very fond of the way the wood duck's feathers and colors went pop pop pop! The presented image is roughly 65% of the original...levels tweak & usm. Many thanks for your pious consideration...

Randy Stout
03-18-2012, 06:21 AM
Jack:

Your hen is sharp, the soft light helped bring out the subtle colors, nice look back pose.

From a comp standpoint, I would be tempted to try a version with 1/4 of the free space above the bird cropped off. I don't feel that portion of the image adds much. However, I am rather fond of pano crops, so may just be personal pref.

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
03-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Agree with Randy but the uneven tones (the bright light lrc) and textures (the crease in the watae by the bird's head) are big distractions.

Jack Breakfast
03-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks folks, very much...I agree RE the crop. I know a lot of folks favor clean water and backgrounds, and I can certainly see the logic there. I like all the business in the water, myself, and the uneven tones appeal to my tastes, but I think I'm inclined to agree with Arthur RE the crease above the hen's head. i.e., it's a distraction! To be honest, I didn't really notice it when I processed the image, but now that I see it, it does bug me...ah well...many thanks for your comments, Randy & Arthur, they are most helpful and appreciated.

Arthur Morris
03-18-2012, 11:06 AM
In addition to the crease, the viewer's eye is always drawn to very dark or vary light areas of an image; in this case, the white area lower right.... It simply draws the eye away from the lady duck.

Jack Breakfast
03-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Oh Arthur! I'm in agreement with you on that...I'm not suggesting my brain isn't addled, but I do like what I like. My particular eyes first look at the duck, then look at the water. My eyes like the water, and look around it for a while, and my eyes say: "Jeepers Peepers, that's some interesting texture and color. I wonder where that bird is going. She'll go into that light, and then what will happen?" At this point my eyes go back to the duck. I look at the image and think: "hmm. i like where this duck is living and traveling." That said, I can see how certain elements, viz. mixed tones, jumpy lights and darks, loopy textures do distract. I am not suggesting this particular photo is a good one, but in general I love bird photos that distract my eye from the bird and then bring it back again. I didn't succeed in this case, but I think it's a decent effort. I'll be at it again, that's for sure...we do get good wood duck opportunities here in Toronto, one of the few bird blessings of this town. I shan't be entering this image in any contests, but I'm glad I posted it here...informative information has been given to me from your fine self and also from Randy...

laurie golden
03-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Jack,
I am alway drawn to a good reflection and I think you have one here. it is a little dark but has nice colors - not sure if you could lighten it up a bit or not but it is a good one. Also the water in front of the duck is great so cutting off the top and making it a pano would draw the viewer to the nice water and reflection.

Jack Breakfast
03-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Hi Laurie, and thanks kindly for your comments...the "pano" crop is a great idea, I agree...I lightened the thing just slightly but think I should go back to the RAW and try that...

laurie golden
03-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Jack,

The new crop is great. I would like to see you go back and try to lighten the reflection on the original and make it pop a little more.

Jack Breakfast
03-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Oh! I misunderstood you entirely, Laurie. Thank you for restating. You're right...I'll do that...a fine idea...

Carmelo Cannova
03-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Exceptional details and beautiful colors.
Carmelo

Jonathan Ashton
03-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Lovely detail Jack, if thet light area bothers you try a light brush at say 30% having selected a pleasing shade of green in the adjacent water.

Jack Breakfast
03-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Nice tip, Jonathan, and thanks...always so much to learn in these departments...