From a set up in my yard

1D MKIV
500mm
Tripod
Manual exposure, evaluative metering
ISO 1000
f/4.5
1/160

Used Nik Color Efex Pro bi-color filter on the background. Cloned out some areas of broken wood on top of the perch.

Doug West
03-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Really, really nice Joel. Love the blue jay, but I also love the perch
you used and the background.

I planned on setting up my backyard feeding site tomorrow, of course its suppose
to rain :(

Doug

Kerry Perkins
03-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Super job on this one Joel! Maybe a tad too much sharpening, as I am seeing some halos and artifacts. Everything else is spot on and lovely - the background really looks nice and the whole image looks like a painting. Well done! I really love the eye and how you can see the reflections of the sky and perch so clearly.

Joel Eade
03-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Super job on this one Joel! Maybe a tad too much sharpening, as I am seeing some halos and artifacts. Everything else is spot on and lovely - the background really looks nice and the whole image looks like a painting. Well done! I really love the eye and how you can see the reflections of the sky and perch so clearly.

Thanks Kerry, I agree it looks a little over-sharpned but it didn't seem too look that way before I posted it.

Joel Eade
03-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Really, really nice Joel. Love the blue jay, but I also love the perch
you used and the background.

I planned on setting up my backyard feeding site tomorrow, of course its suppose
to rain :(

Doug

Thanks Doug. I understand how it is with rain....seems to happen when you have something planned outdoors or when you wash your car !

I am reposting the image to see if I solved the sharpening issue.

David N Smith
03-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Nice job Joel. I really like the perch and the detail. I agree with Kerry it does look like a painting.

Dave

Andrew Merwin
03-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Blue Jays are one of my favorite birds & this is a great image of one. Unfortunately they are seldom found in MT. I like the BG & perch. I think you solved the sharpening issue with the RP. He looks very athletic.

Kerry Perkins
03-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Hi Joel, repost looks a lot more natural - well done! Beautiful image.

William Giokas
03-19-2012, 09:04 PM
I too like the repost. I have noticed that a lot of people on the Forum tend to over sharpen their images. Bill

Cathy McEntee
03-20-2012, 07:12 PM
What a beautiful image Joel--great detail, perch and background.