PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk Island Very Early Dawn

Jay Gould
03-16-2012, 08:55 PM
When I look at the time in the EXIF data it has to be wrong; yet, I can remember dragging out of bed "down under" for the early early morning sunrise. The sun was hot. I would have like to be lower; couldn't get any lower than the large bounder that I was balanced upon to take the shot.

When I look at this image I ask myself "what will the 5D3 do any differently; I tell myself that I want two FF cameras for backup". :Whoa!:

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 9 Nov 10; 3:41AM
Light condition: sunrise
Lens: 16-35 f/2.8
Focal length:33mm
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp:
ISO: 200
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: .3 sec
Aperture: f/18
Exp Comp: none
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One-shot AF
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR GNDs and RGNDs
Crop: full frame
Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR4, CS5, Nik, Blowup

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Angelika Schauf
03-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Very nice colors and great clouds.

Valerio Tarone
03-18-2012, 05:35 AM
Jay hi, nicely done, pefect ROT. I would like more detail on the rocks in LF.

Robert Amoruso
03-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Jay, The composition is well done but I feel the FG is has too little detail to hold interest. All the darkness creates too much negative space.

Jay Gould
03-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Yes, it should have been shot in two stages. I should have shot the foreground properly exposed to bring out the detail and then shot the sunrise for a two image blend. The only alternative is to create a pano to minimize the negative space.

Jack Breakfast
03-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Hiya Jay
I like the new crop better also. It must be nice to live where you live...man o man...

Morkel Erasmus
03-18-2012, 04:32 PM
The repost is stronger compositionally. Must say I am baffled that you didn't "shoot to blend" with this one? :e3
Lovely sky though...

Jay Gould
03-18-2012, 05:01 PM
The repost is stronger compositionally. Must say I am baffled that you didn't "shoot to blend" with this one? :e3
Lovely sky though...

Baffled?! BAFFLED??!! :Whoa!:

Me too! :wave:

Great minds thinks alike; we are both baffled!

Seriously, thinking to do the "shoot to blend" needs to become second nature so that you do it in the moment - automatically. Today, hopefully; yesterday - didn't happen.

Hilary Hann
03-18-2012, 11:28 PM
I find the placement of the horizon too central in the repost, and you have lost all the beautiful reflections in the water which is a shame. However, I agree that the foreground in the OP is too dark so I guess you will just have to go back and re shoot! :bg3:

Robert Amoruso
03-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Baffled?! BAFFLED??!! :Whoa!:

Me too! :wave:

Great minds thinks alike; we are both baffled!

Seriously, thinking to do the "shoot to blend" needs to become second nature so that you do it in the moment - automatically. Today, hopefully; yesterday - didn't happen.

Jay, I was being nice and did not say I was befuddled.:tinysmile_shy_t:

Jay Gould
03-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Robert, that was cyber chit chat between The Morkman and me; welcome aboard! :wave:

Jay Gould
03-19-2012, 07:30 PM
I find the placement of the horizon too central in the repost, and you have lost all the beautiful reflections in the water which is a shame. However, I agree that the foreground in the OP is too dark so I guess you will just have to go back and re shoot! :bg3:

Let's go!!

It is in OUR backyard! Going to Lord Howe in October with Michael Snedic.

Hilary Hann
03-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Let's go!!

It is in OUR backyard! Going to Lord Howe in October with Michael Snedic.

I never thought of NI having scenes like that, just thought it was kind of staid!! Will have to speak severely to myself and look at it being a good destination and cheaper than Africa.

Look forward to your Lord Howe pics. Have you ever thought of doing a landscape workshop with Peter Eastway? He runs something up on one of the QLD islands, and also a fabulous one in the Kimberleys.

Jay Gould
03-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Hilary, I could easily spend several weeks in the forest and on the shores all around NI. Do a Google on both NI and LHI photographs.

I will look into Eastway. Being the workshop/private tuition junkie that I am - I am in North Carolina to spend four days with Chas - it would be nice to identify good Aussie workshops.

Trekabout does a first class job always!!

Hilary Hann
03-20-2012, 03:07 AM
Jay, are you on Facebook? I could send some really interesting photographic workshop info your way, and you can decide if any would suit. I don't go on them myself (no time), but I know quite a few of the photographers and have attended workshops and seminars locally and there are some excellent instructors amongst them. Envy your time with Chas!

Jay Gould
03-20-2012, 06:20 AM
Yes, I am on Facebook; you can also send them to luvntravln at gmail dot com.

Bob Miller
03-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Hi Jay...loving those reflections, clouds and the soft glow on the water.....Only wish there were more detail in the rocks on the LHS

Rachel Hollander
03-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Jay - good suggestions above for improving this beautiful image and good reasons for you to return to the location.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
03-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Hi Jay, love the clouds and the repost takes it up a notch.