PDA

View Full Version : Lookin For Love

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Two days in a row of great shooting. I was speechless when i saw this beauty i could hardly get my gear together without falling in the water again LOL. I saw this bird at the very same spot the day before but he was sleeping with his bill in his feathers. It was still dark when I first spotted him so i assumed it was an oyster catcher and didn't even stop to get out of my car. The next day i returned and there he was same exact spot same exact position. I seriously thought it was dead or something since he never moved so I got out and approached him and almost fell when i saw him come to life and OMG what a killer beauty. I quick ran back to the car and got my gear, waited patiently for the sun to come up yet shooting just in case. The there it was that amazing first light and I fired away. He stayed and preened for a little bit then into the water he went sun in my face. By the time I got my waders halfway up I looked over and there he goes flying away. I am so glad to have gotten to see him and better yet, got the shot. I was told he is a red breasted merganser male in full breeding plumage. Handsome Devil.:w3 I cleaned up the beach a little and the little poop he kindly shared with me.

Camera Model Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/200
Av( Aperture Value ) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 800
Lens EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +1.4x

Randy Stout
03-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Cheryl:

Great image, fun story, well done.

Love the spiky hair do stance, environment, exposure and sharpness.

Looks like he is getting to face a new day.

The morning light was your friend.

Well done !!

Cheers

Randy

Angad Achappa
03-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Fantastic pose and some heavenly light here on him! He sure does look ready to breed!! :D

Roman Kurywczak
03-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Sweet light and nice pose. HAP will probably get you but I am OK with it. Very nicely done!

gail bisson
03-17-2012, 05:30 AM
Hi Cheryl,
I think this is a great shot. One hardly ever sees mergansers out of the water so well done to get this shot. I like your nice low angle and the pose of the bird. The light is lovely as well. Good composition. But it is the spiky hairdo that makes this image so nice and fun. It brought a smile to my face so definite bonus points for this. I might try to open up the blacks on his back but otherwise no nits from me,
Gail

Melissa Groo
03-17-2012, 07:02 AM
What a beautiful bird and beautiful portrait you have here Cheryl. I don't mind HA here. Colors and light are stunning. Wish this were mine. Sure sounds like you're having a great time lately, so good to see. You deserve it after that string of camera misfortunes!

Jim Crosswell
03-17-2012, 08:09 AM
Great image Cheryl! I like the hairdo, lighting, low angle and sharpness.

Rich Steel
03-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Hi Cheryl

I have photographed these birds quite a bit as they gather in the winter on our local marine lake. This is the first time I have seen one out of the water. This is a great looking bird in prime condition , an excellent pose and it really glows in the low sun. You can't ask for more than that :)

Cheers

Rich

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Sweet light and nice pose. HAP will probably get you but I am OK with it. Very nicely done!

Hi Roman. I first processed the best HA but after looking at this one I noticed it was a sharper face so... I went with it. i still may have a better one as I just did a quick look. Thanks for the comments.:wave:

Grace Scalzo
03-17-2012, 12:18 PM
He's got swagger and you captured his attitude perfectly.

Frank Schauf
03-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Beautiful and colorful image. Sharp and well composed.

arash_hazeghi
03-17-2012, 10:28 PM
what a beauty! love everything here Cherul well done!

Satish Ranadive
03-18-2012, 02:30 AM
Sweet image.

Marina Scarr
03-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Congratulations on finding and capturing this one in such gorgeous light. Just love the hairdo. I really wish I hadn't missed this one. HA works very well for me.

Carmelo Cannova
03-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Fantastic image and love the light . The details are very nice.

Carmelo

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks everybody:wave:

Arthur Morris
03-19-2012, 04:42 AM
Other than being a tad bright on my monitor this is killer good. Great detail in the darks and a nicely designed image. And of course, the hairdo is too good.

Robert Holguin
03-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Wow!!! Excellent image. Wonderful light, great pose, superb detail, and verg well composed.
Well done.