PDA

View Full Version : birdlines and waterlines

Jack Breakfast
03-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Greetings,
I have had this image around for a while and wonder if any of you esteemed folks have any comments or suggestions? This one was taken last summer with the Nikon D90 and 70-300mmVR @70mm, iso250, 1/500, f8. The image was cropped at the top and bottom, but is otherwise as-shot.
I'll eagerly welcome any input, suggestions, etc...many thanks...

Jack Breakfast
03-18-2012, 09:20 AM
ah yes!

Robert Amoruso
03-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Hi Jack,

I really like the deep blue look of the water. As mentioned, nice use of the horizontal lines (birds, clouds and horizon) in this image. Given that, more of a pano crop is needed to accentuate that look as I have done in the repost. ROT with the upper 1/3 in line with the birds and the lower 1/3 in line with the horizon.

My preference would have been to have to have the boat on the right 1/3 vertical line as its central location here offsets the symmetry of the image.

Jack Breakfast
03-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Many thanks, Robert...I'm very fond of your repost and agree that the panoramic crop works much better...thank you for taking the time...

Robert Amoruso
03-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Your welcome Jack. Thanks for posting and looking forward to more from you.

Dave Woeller
03-20-2012, 07:40 AM
Very nice image, and an excellent re-post by Robert. Beautiful color in the water.

Jack Breakfast
03-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Dave, many thanks. I love Robert's repost...he solved a real problem for me RE this picture! Anyhow, awfully nice to hear your kind comments.

Morkel Erasmus
03-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Sorry for being late to this one, Jack!
I love the blues as well, and the overall image design is well thought out, with room for a few tweaks as per Robert's fine suggestions. His crop rocks and having the boat on a ROT line would have taken this to another level.

If you'll allow me a repost - I felt you could extract a bit more from the clouds. It looks like the sky was a bit hazy - using a circular polariser might have helped here.
In this repost I made a selection of the band of sky that contains the clouds and birds, then created a levels adjustment layer for the selection (after feathering) and then tweaked it a bit until there was more oomph. I then used Gaussian Blur to blur the adjustment layer and get rid of the obvious "border" created. Then I ran some LCE on it (USM, 20%, 50px). What do you think?
:t3

Jack Breakfast
03-22-2012, 08:17 PM
What do I think? I think it's fantastic, Dr Erasmus! many thanks! you gents are something else! so nice to get some extra eyes on an image...much appreciated!