PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting with flash as main light

Ofer Levy
03-16-2012, 08:03 AM
1D Mark IV, Canon 800 f5.6, 1/250, f6.3, iso 1250, tripod, full wimberley including flash bracket, Canon speedlit 580 EX II, hide

Taken today in a dark cloudy day. Nothing special about this image but the fact that most of the light on the bird comes from the flash. Set to manual 1/2 minus 1/3. I have a long way to go but I feel that mastering the use of flash as main light is going to be necessary in the cloudy springs we have experienced in Sydney in recent years.
Had to fix the pupil that was too bright because of the flash and also moved the catchlight off the centre of the pupil to where it is which I feel looks more natural.

laurie golden
03-16-2012, 09:56 AM
With this shot you should feel encouraged to continue with flash. You have done a great job o this little grebe.

Dan Brown
03-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Nice job, Ofer. I can see the effect and it might be a little over flashed. Is the eye shine a flash product? It kinda looks like it, so maybe reducing that effect would improve this. I refer to this flashg technique as fill flash, as the ambient light is still very evident. I have been happy using TTL fill at -2 to 3 stops, depending on the situation. Either way, this looks good to me.

Dave Leroy
03-16-2012, 11:05 AM
I have not a lot of experience with flash but this looks good to me. The leaf right under the bird may have some highlights that may not be seen in natural light. If I am right then they would be one of the nuisances of flash.

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Ofer, liked the IQ...and your signature low angle. good details in the bird....and nice rainy day feel to this. Am sure you will master the technique fast.

Sachin Saraf
03-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Ofer this looks promising...great job

arash_hazeghi
03-16-2012, 05:19 PM
excellent pose and details my friend!

Humberto Ramos
03-16-2012, 06:04 PM
It's wonderful and the light with the flash is great.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Love that low angle and the comp is great. I think you did really well with the flash. At first looked a little bright to me in the perch grassy area but after looking again i changed my mind. You will only get better and this is a great start.I'm still learning flash as well as I feel it is a great extra for when it's needed.

gail bisson
03-17-2012, 05:59 AM
Another lovely image Ofer. What kind of a bird is this? Young or old? I really like the "island " he is standing on. Very good use of flash and I think -1 would have been perfect. The IQ is superb and I love the low angle and the BG,
Gail

Ofer Levy
03-17-2012, 08:13 AM
Another lovely image Ofer. What kind of a bird is this? Young or old? I really like the "island " he is standing on. Very good use of flash and I think -1 would have been perfect. The IQ is superb and I love the low angle and the BG,
Gail

Thanks for your comments guys!
Gail, this is an adult Australasian Grebe standing on the nest. Flash was set to manual 1/2 of power minus 1/3. I tried with TTL a lot it didn't deliver the goods.

Jim Crosswell
03-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Great image Ofer! I like the low angle, IQ, setting and BG.

Frank Schauf
03-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Perfect comp and bg, nice work.

Steve Canuel
03-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Looks nice and natural to my eye Ofer. A touch of saturation reduction and darkening of blue and cyan reduces the "steely" look on the reflective vegetation on the mound for me.

Doug Brown
03-18-2012, 09:40 AM
I use flash sparingly (translation: Costa Rica), but it's an important tool to have in your toolbox. Overall I think you've done quite well here.

Marina Scarr
03-18-2012, 02:41 PM
You captured superb details and colors with this one, Ofer. Had you not mentioned that you used flash, I may not have known.

Robert Holguin
03-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Wonderful shot. Great low angle, excellent detail, love the small isalnd, and flash work looks great to me.
Very well done.