PDA

View Full Version : Red-crowned Snow Dancers

Arthur Morris
03-15-2012, 07:57 PM
This pair of courting Red-Crowned Cranes was photographed at the Tsurui Itoh Sanctuary, Hokkaido, Japan with the tripod-mounted Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens and the EOS-1D MIV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +2 stops off the snow: 1/1250 sec. at f/5.6. Central Sensor Rear Focus AI Servo AF active at the moment of exposure.

Don't be shy; all honest comments welcome.

ps: Click here (http://www.birdsasart.com/2012/03/15/birds-as-art-bulletin-402/) and scroll down to see the original and learn of the image optimization mostly with NIK Color Efex Pro 4.

Randy Stout
03-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Artie:

Dynamic poses, nice that there is no merge, strong feeling for the snow, but enough contrast to make them jump out.

I could see moving them just a bit to the right based on their apparent direction of movement. Wish there was a bit more texture in the foreground snow.

Have enjoyed all the crane pictures.

Cheers

Randy

Roger Clark
03-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Hi Artie,

I simply love images like this, interacting/courting birds. This is really beautiful. I like the placement. The snow effect really puts it over the top. I'm viewing on a lousy laptop, but my impression mirrors Randy's: I can't see any detail in the foreground snow, also some parts of the wings.

Roger

Jack Breakfast
03-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Lovely in all ways! These Japanese crane images have been a pleasure to view...

gail bisson
03-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Hi Artie,
Welcome back from Japan. I am not sure about this image. I find the head of the left bird a bit soft and wish for a better HA and a more visible eye. I also wish the snow line was level and not sloping to the right. I do like the similar leg raise of both birds and the dancing poses.No nits about the left bird. I also like the snow being lifted up on their legs.
All that snow is great for an environmental feel but I think it obscures a lot of detail in the cranes.
Gail

Grace Scalzo
03-15-2012, 08:48 PM
I've really enjoyed this series. Love the poses of the birds. It looks like they are doing a ballet.

Robert Holguin
03-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Wonderful shot. I really like the poses on both cranes. Exposed very well and great comp.
Very well done.

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Artie, the falling snow and the poses make it for me. masterfully processed, as usual. Details in whites are going to be very tough with that distance and so much snow in the air.

If mine, I'd take a bit off the right and some off the bottom. This will look great on canvas.