PDA

View Full Version : Corrella

Don Railton
03-15-2012, 09:12 AM
Hi Guys

How would I get more feather detail in the back? Better lighting angle or better processing?

I removed an OOF bird from behind the head, what remains is approx 90% of full frame..

1/1000 sec @ F6.3
MK4 + 500F4 IS
ISO 400
Hand Held

DON

Stan Cunningham
03-15-2012, 09:26 AM
If you have nik color efex you could try detail extractor, but I would select the area you want it to show on the bird and run the detail extractor on it's own layer.

Daniel Cadieux
03-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Exposure looks perfect, and you have the amount of detail expected to show for the light and the colour of this fella. You could always use the burn tool - soft brush (about the size of the blue area around the eye), range set to "shadows", and an exposure of 3 to 5%. This should darken only the fine shadows between the feathers. You can then also do a pass with the dodge tool to the midtones or highlights around those feathers (same settings as the previous burn). Sometimes this worls like a charm and sometimes not...worth a try.

Nice pose you got, good low angle and manicured grass. Was this on your lawn or public park?

RakeshDhareshwar
03-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Full points on going low to get this wonderful perspective . I have not seen this bird before , so am not sure of the whites ... maybe a hint of a cast , but exposure looks perfect .

Dave Leroy
03-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Interesting looking bird and really nice low shooting angle. There have been some interesting discussions about phase/shooting angle relative to light in the General Photography Forum. Here itis does not look like there would be much for shadows any way so probably some PP'n as suggested is the way to go.

Don Railton
03-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks for all the Feedback guys, much appreciated...

I don't have any Nik's software (yet) Stan so I will try Daniel's suggestions. Daniel can I read into your reply that other lighting might have provided better detail? I must reread the phase angle threads.. The bird was taken in the local park where a large flock of these birds live. Easy to lay on this sort of ground for the low shot...

regards to you all

DON

Rod Warnock
03-16-2012, 02:26 AM
Great low angle, Don !! Particularly like the alert animated pose with the added foot in mid-step. Conveys the charactor of all Corellas...I presume this is a Western Corella ( Cacatua pastinator) ?? Hope to get an image of te speciues when in Perth later this year.
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Don Railton
03-16-2012, 02:32 AM
Thanks Rod...

Not sure of my species and I bet you know more about that than me. It was taken in the local 'open space' however and there are plenty of birds to choose from... Be happy to show you when you come over if you like...

DON

Frank Schauf
03-16-2012, 02:50 AM
Nice composition and excellent expsoure control and sharpness.

Daniel Cadieux
03-16-2012, 04:57 AM
Thanks for all the Feedback guys, much appreciated...

I don't have any Nik's software (yet) Stan so I will try Daniel's suggestions. Daniel can I read into your reply that other lighting might have provided better detail? I must reread the phase angle threads.. The bird was taken in the local park where a large flock of these birds live. Easy to lay on this sort of ground for the low shot...

regards to you all

DON

I was thinking early or late evening light where the sun is lower on the horizon (especially a little bit off-angle) may have provided better definition on the feathers as opposed to what looks like bright but diffused overhead light (which I like too BTW).

Robert Holguin
03-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Real nice shot. Great pose, love the open beak, exposed very well, and I really like the green.
Well done.

Don Railton
03-18-2012, 07:45 PM
I was thinking early or late evening light where the sun is lower on the horizon (especially a little bit off-angle) may have provided better definition on the feathers as opposed to what looks like bright but diffused overhead light (which I like too BTW).

Hi Daniel,

(Cannot see how to insert quotes...) Thank you for the help, I have a problem with this site in that the sun goes behind trees when very low making it motley and difficult to shoot in. As it is I leave it as late as I can. Best time is overcast conditions at this site but its summer here and clouds are rare... Good to know what to look for however so thanks for your help again..

DON