PDA

View Full Version : A good looking redhead - Duck, that is.

Randy Stout
03-14-2012, 09:16 PM
This nice drake was swimming around with the canvas back I posted recently. This one was taken earlier in the morning, not much very bright yet.

D700 600VR tc-14e f/6.3 1/800s ISO 1000 Gitzo/Wimberley SB900 with beamer

Post: Selective sharpening, 30 % crop up from bottom to eliminate bad reflection. NiK color Efex pro to tease out a little more detail

I left this one a bit looser than the canvas back.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Stan Cunningham
03-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Randy, maybe it's my monitor but his head looks too light in color. Too much brightness??? But I'm used to your perfection.

Satish Ranadive
03-14-2012, 11:46 PM
Sweet image. Love the details and water droplets on the bird.

Jonathan Ashton
03-15-2012, 04:02 AM
Nice shot Randy, I would suggest lowering the highlights on the head, I think this would make a significant difference. Normally I would have suggested a lower angle would have been better but I note your point regarding the reflection.

Randy Stout
03-15-2012, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it.

I believe the relative lightness of the head is a side effect of the flash. The blacks were almost blocked, but the head really did come up. I didn't do any selective brightening of the head, but will revisit it and see if I can adjust its relative brightness a bit.

I was as low as I could get at that venue without shooting through a chain link fence. It would have been at a 45 degree angle to the fence, and lots of image degradation.

I will see if I can touch it up!!

Cheers

Randy

Randy Stout
03-15-2012, 07:04 AM
I had a minute to do some selective curves work on the head only. Put the curves indicator on the head, pulled it down to -45, put hide all mask on that layer and painted back in the desired effect with a soft brush.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks again for the input.

Randy

Mark Itol
03-15-2012, 07:18 AM
A wonderful image, Randy. The repost works better for me -- the slightly darker head makes it pop better against the bright water in the background. Great detail and love the water droplets. I would have wished for a lower angle but as you mentioned this is what's possible when you where shooting.

Stu Bowie
03-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Hi Randy, this angle works for me, and I like your overall comp with placement. Sometimes less space all round tends to work too. You have brought out the finer detail nicely, sharp, and your repost with the subtle adjustment to head looks good. Just love the colour of the water.

Sachin Saraf
03-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Repost looks wonderful Randy...beautiful pose, HA, colors and eye contact.

Jonathan Ashton
03-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Randy - I like the repost I think there is a little more detail there now.

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Randy, repost is definitely better. the red head and that gorgeous water make it for me. excellent portrait. A little too pano for me though..but thats personal preference. Awesome details and light.

Frank Schauf
03-16-2012, 02:44 AM
The repost is nice. Great pose and colours.