Melissa Groo
03-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Canon 1D4
500mm +1.4x
Gitzo/Wimberley spread low

ISO 640
1/2000
f/6.3

From a nest in Cape Coral, FL a couple weeks ago. About 8:20 a.m. I wonder if anyone can weigh in on whether the mottled eyes mean this is a juvenile burrowing owl?
Taken in vertical and cropped about 30%. Sharpening, some recovery work in Viveza on a couple white spots on chest.
Thank you for looking. All C & C truly appreciated.

Dan Brown
03-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Wholey Cow! That is like nothing I've ever seen! No, it doesn't indicate a juv owl. I hope s/he's ok? Amazing capture, Melissa! Very nice techs and bg as well!

Arthur Morris
03-14-2012, 08:01 PM
I believe that eyes like that are just individual variation. As for the image, I would like more room below for the virtual feet and a bit less room below (ooops, that should have been more room above). Techs right on.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Whoooo those be some fareeky eyes. Love that. I'm with Artie on the crop . I like the shallow dof causing the soft cloudy front.

Dan Brown
03-14-2012, 08:35 PM
I believe that eyes like that are just individual variation. As for the image, I would like more room below for the virtual feet and a bit less room below. Techs right on.More room below AND less room below, Artie?:S3:

Melissa Groo
03-15-2012, 06:44 AM
Yes, I suppose that's what Artie meant, Dan! Ok, here is a go at that. I had thought about that originally but then was thinking to go for more of a head shot. But here is some extra room at bottom and some off top. Not sure it's enough for virtual feet, but it looked odd to me to have so much "dead" space below.
Thanks all for your comments.

Arthur Morris
03-15-2012, 06:52 AM
More room below AND less room below, Artie?:S3:

Jet-lagged....

Arthur Morris
03-15-2012, 06:53 AM
Yes, I suppose that's what Artie meant, Dan! Ok, here is a go at that. I had thought about that originally but then was thinking to go for more of a head shot. But here is some extra room at bottom and some off top. Not sure it's enough for virtual feet, but it looked odd to me to have so much "dead" space below.
Thanks all for your comments.

Ooops. Too much off the top; now it looks stuffed into the frame....

jack williamson
03-15-2012, 07:09 AM
Repost looks better except you took too much off the top. I like the oof FG and I have never seen eyes like that on any bird.

Jack

Yves Guillot
03-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Never seen such eyes for a burrowing owl : very strange ...and interesting! Very nice shot! The eyes here make this image a unique one.

Melissa Groo
03-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Ok, thanks again folks. Hoping third time's the charm!

Peter Seidel
03-15-2012, 11:02 AM
On the tech side - nothing to add to what others have said. Regarding those eyes - that's a first for me. I wonder if that's a permanent state or if those type of owls occasionally have "blood-shot" eyes like we do.

I'm guessing that's a pretty rare capture. Very intriguing.

Pete

Melissa Groo
03-15-2012, 11:07 AM
On the tech side - nothing to add to what others have said. Regarding those eyes - that's a first for me. I wonder if that's a permanent state or if those type of owls occasionally have "blood-shot" eyes like we do.

I'm guessing that's a pretty rare capture. Very intriguing.

Pete

I should have mentioned that it was with another one at its nest, and the other one had the same eyes! Here's a (bad) shot that gives you an idea, even though the other owl is OOF.

Peter Seidel
03-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Wouldn't say that's a "bad" shot at all - the main subject is spot on. I know others on the forum don't like OOF animals in the background but I'm not usually too bothered by it. Only if it really competes with the main subject.

Regarding the eyes - again a first - to have two in the same shot. Perhaps it is a more common phenomenon than I thought.

Pete

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-15-2012, 01:41 PM
The last repost is the best IMO. very nice balance there.

that is certainly the first time I am seeing such eyes. Intriguing is the right word.

I like these types of shots a lot....awesome job in getting so low. the FG and BG could not have been better...terrific sharpness and exposure.

Dave Leroy
03-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Wow what a set of eyes. An excellent capture and thanks for doing the reposts. A good lesson in some simple and important composition.

Gary Esman
03-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Melissa, that is just truly wild. Love these kind of shots. Your final post looks pretty good to me. Congrats on this one.

Gary.

Frank Schauf
03-16-2012, 02:39 AM
Beautiful portrait, great details, a great shot, Melissa.

Robert Holguin
03-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Wow!!!! Those are some crazy looking eyes. I really like the last repost best. Great pose, and great background.Very well done.

John Chardine
03-18-2012, 05:35 AM
Incredible Melissa. I seem to remember seeing young Burrowing Owls in past BPN posts with dark eyes but not like this! Love your last repost. This would make a beautiful image to frame and hang.