PDA

View Full Version : Ducks on Humboldt Bay, CA

Dan Brown
03-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Well, I'm not very experienced with BW conversions, so be gentle! This started as a near monotone scene shot handheld with my 400mm. I had to level and crop it, do some NR and then piled a bunch of layers on to come up with this BW. C&C welcome.

Steve Adkins
03-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Way to go, Dan! I love the subtle tones and layers. Amazing tree line silhouettes! I might be tempted to trim a bit off the bottom, but that's just me. Unique low key approach and very well done.

denise ippolito
03-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Dan, the soft tones appeal to me and so do the many layers. I agree with Steve a slice off the bottom would look nice too. The trees have an asian flair and I can see why this one caught your eye. Speaking of Asian we may want to revisit that theme. If you would agree to guest judge.:S3:

Paul Lagasi
03-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Very nice work, I agree with Denise, this does have a Asian flair to it...well done sensei.
With the small ducks in front...one word comes to mind "BIG", not sure why though

Brendan Dozier
03-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Real nice, peaceful composition, Dan, and B&W conversion turned out great. Love the layers of soft tones, and birds on water are nice touch.

Cheryl Slechta
03-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Dan, this has such an Asian feel to it. I love the soft tones and the trees. It looks like an ancient silk painting. I could see a dramatic crop from the bottom eliminating the dark water completely as an alternative. Beautifully done:S3: (And I'm ready for an Asian theme whenever you are!!)

Dan Brown
03-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks all. I will have to play with the crop. Denise, I'm up for an Asian theme week! Let me know ahead.

Kerry Perkins
03-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Sweet image Dan, it is beautiful and serene. I agree with Paul regarding the crop. I would crop from the bottom all the way to the darker water, as I think this crop would keep the eye in the right place. I do love the image as presented! The trees and the other birds in the background really make this a wonderful image.

Andrew McLachlan
03-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Hi Dan, this is quite lovely. I really like the way the trees turned out. Agree with a slice off the bottom too.

Maureen Allen
03-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Really incredible image, Dan. I love the line of trees at the top and how they blend so beautifully with the mountain. I'd hate to see you lose the texture of the water at the bottom. I think if it were mine, I might crop just above your watermark.

Indranil Sircar
03-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Dan, this is beautiful! You have captured the mood very well with b&w processing and I too like the low-key approach. Excellent composition!