PDA

View Full Version : Short eared owl

Jonathan Ashton
03-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Canon 7D Canon 500mm f4 L IS & 1.4TC 1, tripod ISO 500 1/2000 sec f5.6
this shot was taken as the sun was getting very low in the sky ....and I haven't seen it since - neither the sun nor the owl! I have another similar image lowering the highlights a little further but decided to go for this one.
All C & C welcome.

Jamie Douglas
03-13-2012, 01:03 PM
A fine example of a British golden winter sunset. Love the light coming through the SEO wings and the light on the grass.

It might just be me but I find the image as posted has a little too much room on the left hand side and I felt my eyes were being pulled to the left away from the owl. I had a play in PS and thought I'd share my approach. Cropped about an inch off the LHS and a touch from the bottom.

Sweet image and this would look great as a canvas print.

Jamie

Jonathan Ashton
03-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks for taking the time Jamie, yes I like your crop too, probably a bit more than mine. I made the original very pano as I thought that shape may do well on the wall in the extension we recently had built.

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Jonathan, terrific birdscape you got here. excellent use of back light. I like the rim on the face...and of course the wings here. Great mood as well.

Jamie Douglas
03-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks for taking the time Jamie, yes I like your crop too, probably a bit more than mine. I made the original very pano as I thought that shape may do well on the wall in the extension we recently had built.

You are welcome and congrats on finishing your extension Jonathan. Have you built your own office workshop/man cave? I am sure the larger pano will look excellent on the wall.

Jamie

Grace Scalzo
03-13-2012, 01:26 PM
This is beautiful....moody, interesting, lovely. Either version works fine for me. One to really enjoy.

Joe Murphy
03-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Beautiful shot of this SEO Jonathan, I think Jamie' crop is better for web viewing, but your original will look fantastic on a wall, as you have planned.

Stu Bowie
03-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Hi Jon, the thumbnail doesnt do this justice. When I saw the thumbnail, I thought - oh boy, Jon's disappointed with a distant owl shot, but it works here. Great backlighting effect, and just love the warm colours, overall warmth, and setting with the layered grasses in the FG. Well captured.

Ron Sprunger
03-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Ditto Stuart, the thumbnail doesn't hint at the treat in store. That is some series you have posted. I particularly like the OP wide pano, and like the others this exudes an ethereal warmth, great IQ and comp.

EzhilSuresh
03-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Jon, fantastic shot. I love the lighting and the pano crop.

Jonathan Ashton
03-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks very much indeed to everyone who has taken time to comment, I got a buzz when I read them.

Sid Garige
03-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Fantstic image Jonathan. Excellent use of side light.

Arthur Morris
03-13-2012, 07:20 PM
I like em both a lot with a slight edge to the repost. Love the backlight and the killer wing position.

Stan Cunningham
03-14-2012, 06:06 PM
You've got a great series with this guy, I like the repost better as well and you could still go pano, that's a wall hanger!