PDA

View Full Version : Alpine chamois

Valerio Tarone
04-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Shot years ago in Gran Paradiso parco.Velvia50 1/60 I saw the chamois, I stayed hide beyond a rock waiting it move. Tha BG is the dam.
Image sent (not winning! )toWildlife Photogr. of the year.

Andy Trowbridge
04-13-2008, 07:36 AM
Valerio this is not chamios!! Possibly a female ibex?

Valerio Tarone
04-13-2008, 01:28 PM
I think alpine chamois.

Milo Burcham
04-14-2008, 12:06 AM
Oooh,the scan could use some work. Love the composition but severre dust to clean up and strong color cast.

Gus Cobos
04-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Nice composition Valerio,
I see alot of dust on the print and too grainy on my monitor; the overall image has like a bluish cast...:D As far as your subject goes; I have no clue as to what it might be...:confused:
I leave that to our experts...:)

Valerio Tarone
04-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Thank you Gus. It's a chamois because :the small horns are oblique at the top, chamois is not confident, capra ibex is not scared by the man(not exactly confident). a bluish cast (I say 'dominant')is quite costant in the mountains (here:2 800 metres high). Yes ,I see some dust, the digital work is different than scanning!! within few weeks you'll have new photos. this is old.

Robert Smith
04-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Neat shot, and congratulations on the capture. Thanks for sharing. Even "old" scanned slides can be digitally cleaned of dust and have the color cast "fixed" to some degree. I sure envy you the opportunity to capture this mountain critter on such a steep slope in such a neat place.

Valerio Tarone
04-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Thank you Robert, I apreciate your c.. I have some defects: one not read well every instructions! Yes I rescanned 4 slides with ICE, ROC in my NIKON COOLSCAN 5000: all cleared you'll can see saoon in Lanscapes:

Gerald Kelberg
04-17-2008, 07:12 AM
I like the composition, but I'm going to cast my vote with the "Ibex" crowd - based on the thickness of the horns at the base and the little white patch on the rump. I expect the horns on a chamois to be almost uniformly thin for most of the length and a more pronounced hook at the tip, and bigger ears. Any images where it is fully lit?

Gerald

Valerio Tarone
04-17-2008, 11:03 AM
I like the composition, but I'm going to cast my vote with the "Ibex" crowd - based on the thickness of the horns at the base and the little white patch on the rump. I expect the horns on a chamois to be almost uniformly thin for most of the length and a more pronounced hook at the tip, and bigger ears. Any images where it is fully lit?

Gerald
voila les chamois..
shot in P.co Mte Avic where there are chamois and no capra ibex

Gerald Kelberg
04-18-2008, 05:09 AM
Thanks, Valerio.

I remain unconvinced, but that doesn't really matter. I look forward to seeing more of your fine images.

Gerald

Dave Courtenay
04-24-2008, 11:22 AM
I'd put money that it is a female or young Ibex-I was shooting them today here in Switzerland,The chamois have totally different shaped horns and the body looks more like ibex than chamois-but you where there and i wasnt