PDA

View Full Version : Great Horned Owl

Alan Murphy
03-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Great Horned Owl

Workshop: Laguna Seca Ranch, South Texas

D3, 600, 1.4TC, ISO 640, f9, 1/1000, Called in.

Jack Breakfast
03-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Alan I feel mildly insane criticizing an image this beautiful, but it does behoove me to mention my distaste (no no distaste is far too strong a word) for the OOF green & other bits behind the lovely owl's posterior. I mention this because the background is flawless otherwise. The bird is beautiful, as is the perch, and so forth. Because of these things, I find myself distracted by the green and other OOF bits. That said, If I had taken this photograph I would be drinking tequila on the rooftop of my building and singing a Puccini aria...

Don Railton
03-11-2012, 11:13 PM
I'm with you Jack..I especially love the talons and the stare, but the OOF whatever below the bird is distracting...

DON

Frank Schauf
03-12-2012, 02:41 AM
Perfect, with great eye contact.

Randy Stout
03-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Alan:

The owl is great, love the wind blown 'horns', grip, sad expression.

I do agree about the BG being a bit distracting.

On my work monitor, the image appears just a sliver too bright. Perhaps it is my expectation of owls being seen in dimmer light ?

Cheers

Randy

Peter Seidel
03-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Sharp as a tack and those talons look very menacing.

The OOF area underneath doesn't really bother me. If anything it's just slightly too bright on my monitor.

Killer shot.

Pete

Charles Glatzer
03-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Stellar shot of the owl.

If you are against cloning out the background vegetation try simply altering the color.

Tip...select the Brush Tool, (hold down the option key (turns the tool into an eyedropper/color picker) select the blue color in background, change the Blending mode to Color (ALT/Shift C), brush over the green and tan to match background color.

Either way killer as presented.

Chas

arash_hazeghi
03-13-2012, 10:41 AM
sweet pose and details Alan