PDA

View Full Version : Palm Warbler

Robert Strickland
03-11-2012, 11:49 AM
A visitor to my backyard Feeding / Watering Station. Shot from my shed which i use as a blind.
Canon EOS 7D with Canon EF 500f4L IS with 1.4 extender
1/100,f5.6, ISO 640

Ron Sprunger
03-11-2012, 12:42 PM
It's an absolutely lovely image. Love the BG and perch, IQ is amazing, with great light and feather detail. I could wish the head were turned your way, but it's mighty nice as is. You might want to remove that OOF twig(?) just in front of the leg.

Don Nelson
03-11-2012, 01:02 PM
I like the colors of your BG.
However, background could use some NR.
In your setups, can you consider adding a bird-sized perch? this one overwhelms the bird for me.

Dan Busby
03-11-2012, 02:01 PM
A lot to like here Robert. Agree with comments on perch, NR on background and head angle. I might also try some light colour noise reduction on the bird.

Robert Strickland
03-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Tell me more about IQ, How do you determine it?

Ron Sprunger
03-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Robert, I probably define it a little more loosely than others. To me, IQ (Image Quality) is determined by:

1) Is it in focus where it should be in focus?
2) Is the exposure correct for highlights, midtones, and shadows?
3) Is the tonal range adequate for subject and BG?
4) Does the angle and quality of light serve the image well?

Your image scores high in my book, even though the post processing doesn't show off the IQ as well as it might. In the OP above, you have noticeable noise in the BG, and imperfect sharpening on the bird. IMO those are artifacts of less than optimal image preparation for our 1024x800 web format. Artie has (somewhere) posted his approach to image preparation, which I found a very useful starting point. If you PM me, I'll reply with either a link to his or some detail on what I've settled on.

But even without optimal processing, I can see that your focus is spot on, and there's a lot of detail on the bird head to toe, with wonderful softness on the belly and flanks while still retaining detail. The light is head-on to the bird, and should probably be toned down a little on the bird's breast. Don and Dan are much more expert than I, and their suggestions seem very good to me.

Robert Strickland
03-14-2012, 02:25 PM
I do not understand some of the Acornyms, Is there a chart that spells them out. what is PM,

Ron Sprunger
03-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Sorry Rober. I sent you a PM (Private Message) to which you can respond if you wish.