PDA

View Full Version : Budding in Color

Lynn David Cole
03-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Canon 20D - Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS w/25mm extension tube - f/11 - 1/100 sec. - ISO 400

Julie Kenward
03-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Lynn David, I like this bud - you have good detail and the pinks in the BG play nicely off the bud's colors. The two things I see that could use a little correction are the OOF stem and the length of the stem within the frame's edges. If you had less negative space at the top and an equal amount of additional stem I think the image would have a nicer overall "balance" to it. In general, its nice to see 2/3 more stem than bud size (and there are always exceptions to this) but its a good starting place to begin. If this were mine, I'd probably have made that adjustment to the composition in camera and then possibly cloned one of the magenta spots into the LRC to balance the image even more.

Lynn David Cole
03-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks Julie,

I like the idea of another fuzzy magenta orb to fill in the negative space.
I could have trimmed the foliage around the stem, but they are a little fussy about disturbing their flowers in the places where I shoot. ;-)
This helps a lot and I will apply these thoughts to my next buds and blooms.

Lynn

Steve Maxson
03-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Hi Lynn. I like the colorful bud against the colorful background and you did a good job of capturing the rim lighting. Jules makes some good comments above for you to consider. In addition, there are a couple minor tweaks I would suggest - I am seeing two sensor dust spots in the background that could easily be cloned away. You might also consider cleaning up the bud a little - removing some of the dark or light specks that tend to draw our eye. Overall, this is very well done!

Lynn David Cole
03-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks Steve,
The dust spot is easy but the other problems beg for a re-shoot.
Lynn

Anita Bower
03-15-2012, 06:20 AM
I really like the yellow against that dark bg with magenta spots! It pops! Nice detail and lighting. Some good suggestions made above. I think this image works, and would be even better if you took a bit off the left side so the flower moves to the left, and cleaned up the spots on bg and flower (the messy things, not the whites).

Lynn David Cole
03-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks Anita,
This might make it worth the effort.
Lynn

Ken Childs
03-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Hi Lynn, I like the concept of this shot and the previous posters have provided some great suggestions. The bud would be a good subject for you to practice your cloning skills on....cleaning up those specs would definitely remove some distractions. I hope you were or are able to get another chance at these before they're gone for the year....these buds are a fantastic subject and by following the advice given, you should end up with something really nice.

Lynn David Cole
03-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Thanks Ken,
Bluebonnets are on my agenda at the moment, but I will bet back to the arboretum soon.
Lynn