PDA

View Full Version : Mallard hen

Ron Sprunger
03-09-2012, 12:53 AM
I had no intention of putting this up, but every time I look at it I like it a little more. Curious how it's received here. It's certainly not the norm for this forum, but I wonder whether it works for you. Taken at Gilbert Water Ranch a couple weeks ago. A family of three Mallards kept working the water three feet in front of me, and I caught the hen alone approaching. I like her confidence -- no skittishness at all. I think what appeals is the mottled early light. C&C most welcome and appreciated.

Nikon D7000, 200-400 f/4 at 280mm. 1/500 @f/5.6, ISO 1000, full frame, as exposed.

RakeshDhareshwar
03-09-2012, 01:13 AM
Looks like it was very very close to you !!! You still managed to get the the beak and the head in focus ! Might have liked a lower angle on this one .

Ron Sprunger
03-09-2012, 01:21 AM
You're right about the angle, but I was sitting as low as I could get, being old and stiff and breaking in a new knee. Thanks for the look.

Randy Stout
03-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Ron:

The very limited DOF does give it a rather intimate feel. THe curved wake makes it look like she is sailing in a trough in the water. Like the reflections in the water too.

Wish she was a bit more to the right, but I know it is full frame.

I can see why it has grown on you. Not a classic composition/execution, but I do like it , and it kept me looking around, always good.

Cheers

Randy

Ron Sprunger
03-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Thank you for looking Randy. She definitely got in a little tight on me and almost got deleted because of it.

Melissa Groo
03-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Hi Ron. I like the head a lot--the details, the sharpness--but feel all that out of focus body detracts. Would IQ hold up if you cropped so that it's just a head portrait? Just a thought.

Ron Sprunger
03-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Hmm... Never really occurred to me, but here it is. I went back and added a little detail extractor on the head, and some polarization on all of it, in addition to the crop. Is this a better presentation? 110055