PDA

View Full Version : Glacier Bay Mountains

James Fuller
03-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Mountain Range from Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska.
Canon 20D, 10-22. f/18 1/640.

Comments appreciated. Thanks.

Don Railton
03-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Hi James

Very Nice....! Love the sky & clouds and the depth you have achieved here. I do think there maybe a blue cast over the mountains however that is overly subduing detail that I would much prefer to see. I would mask out the mountains and foreground then have a play with selective colour. would have a go myself but I am still at work..

Well done

DON

James Fuller
03-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Thanks for your suggestion Don. I have removed some blue with selective color as suggested and added 15 points of saturation to the blue and yellow channel for the sky only. Thoughts?

Angelika Schauf
03-10-2012, 03:37 AM
A great cloud formation.

Andrew McLachlan
03-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Hi James, great eye on this one. I love the cloud formations and the mountain range. The clouds look a little blown out in the upper right area of the comp though. Did you use a grad filter? A grad filter would help to hold back the clouds and open up the shadowed mountains.

Don Railton
03-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Hello James

Yes, I the repost better although I can see now that Andrews suggestion of a Grad filter would have worked better again. This would allow correct exposure of the sky and greater detain in the mountain. An alternative would be to do a blended exposure, one exposed for the mountain detail and another for the sky. Given that there are no dynamic components in the composition, this would work as well.

thanks again

DON

Morkel Erasmus
03-12-2012, 05:23 AM
Some good advice given above. I like the composition you chose here to accentuate the main elements of the moody mountains and the interesting cloud formation. The repost with the blue in the mountains toned down is an improvement IMHO. Nothing you can do now about the blown parts of the sky - but I would suggest a pano crop from the top (even though it would remove some of the nicer clouds).

Robert Amoruso
03-13-2012, 06:43 PM
James,

A graduated ND filter can not help this as you would reduce the tones in the clouds to much in an attempt the coral the sun's brghtness. Accept the blown out area - it would be true representation of what the eye sees, or do as Morkel suggested and crop it out.

I am for leaving as is as the clouds are spectacular and I would not suggest cropping them.

Don Railton
03-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Hello Robert

Do you think a blend would work...? Not so much for the cloud as I too like it just as they are, but blend in order to open up the mountain area... Would have to be reasonably quick between exposures as the boat is moving...I said on by last post on this image that there were no dynamic elements, I obviously forgot it was taken from a boat...

DON

James Fuller
03-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions...I do like the sky, so guess, I'll just have to live with the blown out area in this one.