PDA

View Full Version : The Daughter of Legadima

Grant Atkinson
03-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Canon 1Dmk4, Canon 300f2.8. Handheld. 1/200s at f2.8, 0.33plus exp comp. Iso1600. Cropped in ACR, processed in ACR and CS5. Female leopard, full-grown offspring of Legadima, the well-known Mombo leopard that has featured in several wildlife documentaries.
Taken on overcast afternoon a little before dark. I removed a few leaves from the right side of the frame.
cheers
Grant

Steve Kaluski
03-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Hi Grant nice to see you back here. :5

Being slightly overcast has help, especially in the BKG giving a softer, more muted colour feel and you don't have the more 'brighter' areas coming through on a shot like this in the canopy. The diagonal works well, plus the trailing tail. A fraction more at the foot would have been nice, but not a deal breaker. My only thought would be to have had more to the LHS and less on the right, which would also have clipped more of the branches below in the BKG, but again, just my take. :w3

Hope to see more, WD perhaps?

TFS
Steve

Harshad Barve
03-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Welcome back and killer image of Leopard
TFS

Rachel Hollander
03-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Grant - a fun image with the tail hanging down. Nice sharpness on the face and I agree with Steve about the muted colors. Well done.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
03-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Grant ,

Nice image ,my only concern is the edges of the leaves above the tree to the right (as viewed) of the youngster, they are quite distracting for me.

Grant Atkinson
03-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the comments, your observations have been noted Harshad, Steve, Rachel and Ken.
cheers
Grant

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Beautiful.The details on the cat are superb. I could see this cropped w/out the tail as well/square or horiz

Grant Atkinson
03-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks Cheryl, for looking and commenting. I was able to shoot some horizontal frames as well, and have some where the tail was completely hidden...

Marc Mol
03-10-2012, 04:52 AM
Love the pose here Grant with a nice diagonal tree perch, the soft lighting/colours suit nicely.
TFS

Morkel Erasmus
03-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Nice muted tones here Grant, lovely details too as mentioned.
Steve touched on my initial thought which was that the tailtip is a tad too close to the edge, though I do like that you didn't clip it and I have full appreciation that in cases like this with a fixed focal length lens this could just be as good as it gets (guessing you were leaning back in your seat as well for some 'extra' distance :t3).