PDA

View Full Version : The European Starling has its own theories on nesting

Jack Breakfast
03-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Hi lo yo! In addition to collecting images of gulls playing with rocks, I'm a sucker for starling nests. Perhaps it's a form of very-early-onset dementia but I can't help myself. Anyhow, this particular shot was taken with the Canon 7D, 200mm f2.8 + 1.4, iso320, 1/1250, f5.6. I've given the image the basic crop/levels tweak/USM. I eagerly await and welcome your comments, suggestions, and admonishments!

Dave Leroy
03-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Very good behavior shot of a Starling. I like the alert pose and the two feet hanging over the edge. I might try to crop out top left without losing street light look.

Marina Scarr
03-08-2012, 12:33 PM
I like the concept very much but prefer this crop. I placed your lovely starling in the bottom right of the frame, and I feel this version is more powerful. How do you feel about it?

Tom Rambaut
03-08-2012, 06:30 PM
I like this very much. Different for sure. I like the pose and the fact that the head is not disected by the line of the globe in the background. I like the repost but do wish to keep the curved edge of the light. broken glass is pretty cool.

adrian dancy
03-08-2012, 06:44 PM
This image has impact. It says something and I will remember this image when many are forgotton. You have a little gem here Mr Breakfast. I would not crop it further...don't you dare. I would, out of curiosity, love to see the full frame image.

Jack Breakfast
03-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Can't thank you enough, folks. Marina, your crop is delightful and it's more concise and sometimes I like it better but other times I too wish to see the curved glass edge, as Tom pointed out. I'm also pretty fond of the hardware, but can't say why. Ah Marina, your crop is making me crazy, in that I like it very much indeed! Adrian, I can't thank you enough for your enthusiasm and I will post the full-frame image for you now...thanks again, fine folks, and I really appreciate the crop, Marina...I'm now torn and will pull out what's left of my hair...

Marina Scarr
03-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Here's my new crop now that I have access to the full frame image which gives you a little more of the "hardware" which I like as well. I personally find this to be a visually interesting capture.

laurie golden
03-08-2012, 08:33 PM
I don't care which way you crop it, the photo is so unique that I love them all. I too will remember this one and will be looking for starlings in the future. You did a great job on exposure, bird colors are great and glass is sharp.

Jack Breakfast
03-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks so very much Marina for the new crop...my favorite, I think. And Laurie, thank you also for the words of encouragement...starlings are beautiful when the light hits them. Grackles too, but that's a different story...

Ron Sprunger
03-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Starlings do indeed nest in the oddest places. I really like this one, and Marina's second crop takes the prize for me. Perfect exposure and IQ on the bird and the "nest". Terrific!

adrian dancy
03-09-2012, 04:51 AM
Marina's new crop is better.

With your lens I think I would have worked this bird and got some wider angle shots. Of course you will be limited without step ladders and possibly positioning. If the bird is nesting here I'd be inclined to go back, if possible and make a few more images and do some recomposing so that the bird is not imaged in the centre of the frame. Anyway ...fact remains ...I enjoyed this.

Mark Itol
03-09-2012, 04:58 AM
Fresh perspective here, Jack. Very unique. Love the behavior your captured here. Very good detail and exposure, too. I think Marina's last crop nails it.

Jack Breakfast
03-09-2012, 08:04 AM
I too am quite fond of Marina's crop. The bird was only there on one particular day, and for about five minutes. I took as many shots as a crazy person could have taken, and I posted this particular shot because of the starling's look and positioning. I would have been better off with a zoom lens (70-200) because of issues involving footing and precariousness...the nagging thought in my brain was "remove the teleconverter" but to be honest the area was crowded with people (racing little toy ships) and I didn't want to lose the moment, etc etc...many thanks for your encouraging words, folks...