PDA

View Full Version : Dogwood Bloom

jack williamson
03-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Nikon D300, 70-300mm f4.5-5.6, tripod. Cropped, 1/100, f8, iso640. Adj exposure, vibrance in acr. Levels, USM in CS3.

Steve Maxson
03-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Hi Jack. This is an interesting non-traditional view of the flower. I like the mood created by the light pastels, the slight curve in the stem, and you have good sharpness within your DOF. I would suggest cloning the dark spot on the petal and the small brown spot along the right edge of the frame. The little stub on the stem at the bottom is drawing my eye and you might consider cropping that out - it will be interesting to see what others chime in on that point. :S3: This is a very nice image and I think a few minor tweaks will make it even better!

Carel v/d Sanden
03-09-2012, 03:53 AM
Hi Jack
I agree about cropping
I see a blue / purple border along the left side of the stem.
Gromatische aberration?

jack williamson
03-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Thanks Steve and Carel. I don't know what the color along the stem is, just saw it when Carel pointed it out.

Jack

Julie Kenward
03-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Jack, I see two other things that Steve didn't mention. First, I wish there was a little more separation between the right side of the flower and the BG - the whites are kind of colliding there and I find myself wondering where the BG stops and the flower begins. Also, the green in the BG seems a little hot. You might pull back on the yellows or shift the hue of the green more towards the blue side (and away from the yellow) just a tiny bit to bring that color down a notch.

I have to say I'm really looking forward to the dogwoods blooming this spring...I can hardly wait to get out and photograph them!

jack williamson
03-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Thank you Julie.

Jack

Anita Bower
03-15-2012, 06:28 AM
This is an interesting and unusual view of the Dogwood flower. I like it for just that. The curve of the stem and positioning of the flower are graceful. That bit of green in the bg works nicely. I would crop from the top and left, not from the bottom. I'd clone out that little stem, and the dark spot. I'd like the center of the flower ligtened/brightened up just a bit. I did it using the circular gradient tool. Thanks for sharing a different perspective.

jack williamson
03-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Thanks for your advice Anita.

Jack

Ken Childs
03-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Hi Jack, this has been covered well so I won't repeat what's already been said. I do like it when someone goes for a non-traditional shot of a flower....you chose a very good subject for it. :S3:

Applying the suggestions given will definitely take this one up a notch or 2!

jack williamson
03-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks Ken.

Jack

Bob Miller
03-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Hi Jack....I love this just as presented....I would not crop ....I even like that little nub on the stem! TFS.....You have inspired me to watch my dogwoods in the backyard!