PDA

View Full Version : The Canopy

Marina Scarr
03-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Have been going through a few images and came across this one that I found interesting. The adult's tail acted as a canopy for these 2 day old Sandhill Crane chicks. This was by far the best SHC nest I have ever photographed. Unfortunately, this year the pond was totally dry. Every time I go back to these pictures, it brings back memories and many smiles to my face! Hope it brings a smile to yours as well!

Canon 5D, Canon 400 DO & 1.4 @ 560mm
F8, 1/2000sec, ISO 400, manual mode
Feisol tripod, Mongoose head
In waders down low in the water

C & C always welcomed and much appreciated.

Marina Scarr
www.marinascarrphotography.com (http://www.marinascarrphotography.com)

Sachin Saraf
03-07-2012, 03:34 PM
This are amazingly beautiful young ones....Loved it in every way...It did bring smile to my face and was a welcome break from busy schedule...TFS

Melissa Groo
03-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Love this image, Marina. The canopy that speaks of mama standing guard, the young ones both looking in the same direction, and the perfect HAs. BG is fantastic and the sense of environment is really wonderful. Can't think of anything I would change. Did you blur the mom's tail to de-emphasize it, or was it really just on such a different plane of focus?

Geir Jensen
03-07-2012, 04:09 PM
A beautiful picture. Lovely BG. Maybe the image had been even nicer without the tail feather to the mother

Marina Scarr
03-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Love this image, Marina. The canopy that speaks of mama standing guard, the young ones both looking in the same direction, and the perfect HAs. BG is fantastic and the sense of environment is really wonderful. Can't think of anything I would change. Did you blur the mom's tail to de-emphasize it, or was it really just on such a different plane of focus?

I did not blur the tail. It was on a different plane of focus.

Richard Unsworth
03-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Georgeous shot; undecided about mums tail, kind of enhances their vulnerability?

Jim Crosswell
03-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Excellent image Marina! I like the details on the chicks, nest, BG and canopy. I could see it with just the chicks as well.

Jack Breakfast
03-07-2012, 07:09 PM
The chicks are exquisite. The color and BG here are very appealing. The "canopy" is a question of personal taste...I'd far prefer the image without it. The OOF what-is-it element distracts me and takes me away from the color, the background, the beauty of the birds...I find the image far more poetic w/o the mother-symbolism, myself. Ah, opinions are like ______

Marina Scarr
03-07-2012, 07:41 PM
The chicks are exquisite. The color and BG here are very appealing. The "canopy" is a question of personal taste...I'd far prefer the image without it. The OOF what-is-it element distracts me and takes me away from the color, the background, the beauty of the birds...I find the image far more poetic w/o the mother-symbolism, myself. Ah, opinions are like ______

Thank you for your thoughts. To me, the photo without the canopy is like so many other SHC chick pictures. With the mom's tail feathers, there is an added element and, therefore, more of a story. It would have been easier to turn this into a straight portrait, but it's the story I am after whenever possible.

Jack Breakfast
03-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Of course, Marina, that much is obvious. And it's a nice story. Well done...

dankearl
03-07-2012, 09:57 PM
I also am not sure about the tail/canopy, but no one gets better chick photos than you.
They are awesome.

Troy Lim
03-07-2012, 11:29 PM
This is a wonderful series, always enjoy viewing them. Keep them coming.

Robert Holguin
03-08-2012, 01:12 AM
Wow!!!! Beautiful image. I personally like this shot as is. Wonderful background, great poses on both chicks, and excellent detail.
Very well done.

Ron Sprunger
03-08-2012, 01:30 AM
I wouldn't change a thing. Perfect in every way.

arash_hazeghi
03-08-2012, 03:18 AM
hey Marina the chicks are cute :D and awesome great sharpness. The OOF tail is a bit distracting given the rather harsh bokeh in that area, I'd just get rid of it...

Ofer Levy
03-08-2012, 05:32 AM
The chicks are lovely and beautifully captured. The OOF tail feathers should go IMHO. It could have been a different story if they were sharp.

David N Smith
03-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Great capture of the chicks Marina but I am undecided on the tail feathers. I see what you are trying to convey but if you hadn't told me they were tail feathers I am not sure I would have known what they were.

Dave

Randy Stout
03-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Marina:

I really like the concept of the protective canopy from the tail, but I too find it distracting because it isn't sharp. It is such a strong element visually, that it competes with, rather than compliments the colts.

The colts by themselves would be a very strong image.

Cheers

Randy

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Sweet as ever and that is cute how the tail provides the shade. I wish the tail was lower to the chicks with less space in between and sharp would have been the perfect world but we dont live in one soo. I like the story it tells yet I think the image without the tail would be just as awesome. Nice to get both chicks so sharp.

Josh Clark
03-08-2012, 01:23 PM
What an adorable moment you captured Marina. Well done.