PDA

View Full Version : On the prowl

Steve Kaluski
03-07-2012, 10:10 AM
A quick post before getting out on another Bluebird day.

Taken towards the latter part of the day, this female was on her way back to joint the rest of the Duba pride.

Steve
Subject: Duba Lioness walking back to the main pride in Golden light (Panthera leo)
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 300f/2.8 - HH
Exposure: 1/250s at f/4 ISO400 0 stop compensation
Crop: Slight crop (original capture horizontal)

Andrew Merwin
03-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Steve, I think this is a gorgeous image of a gorgeous animal. The light is sublime, the raised paw & eyes taking the image to another level. Some may advise you to remove the stick & flies, but I think they should stay as they show reality. Your techs are spot on. TFS this image. It is superlative.

Rachel Hollander
03-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Steve - Beautiful, golden light with your usual spot on techs. Love the hint of tongue showing, the glowing eyes and the raised paw. Congrats!

TFS,
Rachel

Vivaldo Damilano
03-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Fantastico Steve, love the golden light and sharpness. I am not sure what flying around the lion but it adds very nicely. How did you get so low:w3

Steve Kaluski
03-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Hi Andrew, nice to see you toggling between the Forums, it can only add to your knowledge & skill set.

Removal of the 'stick' is a no no, as it's too much of a change to the image, easy to remove, but it stays in. Simple 'gardening' ie a leaf, OOF object that really has no meaning that is small and unobtrusive then fine, but something like that or to rebuild an image with additional BKG is not staying true to the world of photography. If you want to do it fine, but you are only fooling yourself, the viewers and ultimately you become a lazy photographer relying on software rather than your skills. :w3 Funny an exchange of thoughts we has recently with another BPN member.

Rachel/Vivaldo appreciate the look & comments, but yes the flies stay in too. Interesting, this was posted elsewhere over a week ago and now has earned it's place, as someone has just bought it to be used in a magazine, nice. :cheers:

Vivaldo how are things with you, trust you are getting out and about with some new stuff to post, hope to see things soon.

All the best guys.

Steve

Tom Graham
03-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Gorgeous, wonderful light and your processing shows it perfectly, those last few minutes of daylight. Also love the intense look of the lion and your perfect low perspective. It deserves to sell and more than once.
Tom

Steve Kaluski
03-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Cheers Tom, appreciate the comments & compliments. :w3

If you really want to see perhaps one of the most powerful prides, (in stature & size of beast) then this is certainly up there, they are awesome animals. Just as Brendon Cremer. :bg3:

cheers
Steve

Jamie Douglas
03-08-2012, 01:05 AM
What a beauty Steve and techs are spot on as usual. The stick actually adds depth IMO and the rest is just awesome, the poised stare, tongue, flies and raised paw all glowing in that light.

Roger Clark
03-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Steve,
Excellent as everyone above says. I agree, the stick should stay. How did you get the low perspective?

Roger

Rachel Hollander
03-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Steve - congrats on the sale:5

Robert Amoruso
03-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Nice light, good posture of the lion and good vertical composition. Flys a nice touch as is the tongue showing. Branch is IMO a major distraction as little else is sticking up. As the lone interloper into the path of the lion, its presence is very obvious. Just because it was there when the image was made doesn't make it any less a distraction.

Steve Kaluski
03-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Thanks guys.

Roger simply placing the vehicle in the right place, I have used a 'suicide' camera before to get the perspective, but with these guys it would have been 100% certainty that the camera would have been lost with no shot. These guys are mean machines. :bg3:

Robert, agree the stick is not ideal, but that's wildlife. :w3

Harshad Barve
03-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Whats not to like here , Top image Steve
TFS

Tom Graham
03-08-2012, 09:22 PM
What is a "suicide" camera?
I gave toyed with the idea of putting camera on a monopod, cable release, dropping it upside down over vehicle side and shooting "shotgun". But too lazy to actually try it :S3: .
Tom

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Love it and the low angle makes the shot. I love the position of the feet and the tongue sticking out saying yum :)

peter delaney
03-16-2012, 04:50 AM
Lovely image... congrats on sale!.... angle is good ,the eyes are better in this image than on the second image... "the stick" .. your eye is drawn to it and it does detract....or else we wouldnt be talking about it...:S3: