PDA

View Full Version : Rata and waterfall II

chris Bycroft
04-12-2008, 04:42 AM
Hi

Here is another one from last weekend. Near Rotorua, New Zealand.

More attractive flowers than the other attempt I showed previously, but difficult to get as much of the waterfall in the background.

Details: Canon 30D, EFS 17-85mm 4.5-5.6 lens. ISO 100 shutter speed: 1/3 sec, f20.

Cheers,

Chris
<!-- / message -->

Roman Kurywczak
04-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Hey Chris,
While the flowers are very showy.......they are a bit "messy" as a bush?/tree? Would yo have been able to gently move some of the greenery that goes into the waterfall temporarily out of the frame? I carry a few clothes pins just for such an occasion to move a grass if I need to. Judging against your last one.........looks like you have more detail in the waterfall.....although not as clear as the last one. You might try experimenting with faster shutter speeds on this one.......as it looks like due to the steepness (and what you said in your previous post) there is a large volume of water going over the face. I find that for these waterfalls (Tower Falls in Yellowstone NP comes to mind)..........faster shutter speeds work better to give some definition to the water.....otherwise they get too milky for my tastes.
roman

Harold Davis
04-12-2008, 07:23 PM
moving the grass on the right would help a lot. i think you could crop some from the top also.

chris Bycroft
04-13-2008, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the comments. Yes I agree, the crop at the top could be better. I think I now prefer the first photo of the two I have posted on the Landscape Thread. The "grass"-like plant Harold is a large 3 m tall plant in New Zealand known as flax (although not like the northern hemisphere flax). It is in a protected area, so it is not legally possible to shift plants too much.