PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine in the snow

Krijn Trimbos
04-12-2008, 02:48 AM
Another animal that was high on my wishlist in Norway was the wolverine, luckily for us we got some great oppertunities to catch them up close. This one was running and suddenly made a full stop explaining the snowcloud emerging from his feet.

Thanks for watching,

Canon EOS 30D 1/1000 f5.6 Manual
ISO 160
Canon 300 f2.8 L USM
RAW

Greg Forcey
04-12-2008, 04:34 AM
Great job on capturing this elusive animal. I love the good frontal evenly-lit lighting and pose.

Andy Trowbridge
04-12-2008, 05:03 AM
Very nice capture Krijn of one of my favourite animals. I'm guessing that this was taken under controlled conditions i.e. captive

Krijn Trimbos
04-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Very nice capture Krijn of one of my favourite animals. I'm guessing that this was taken under controlled conditions i.e. captive

Thanks guys for the comments.

Andy to answer your question this was a captive animal I should have noted that Sorry......But to talk about controlled conditions doesn't really seem appropriate here IMHO. We were inside their 'enormous' enclosures, which were about 2-3 hectares big, with snow and berches all around. These animals are brought in from the wild and thus are semi-wild and can be unpredictable. And although they seemed sweet enough we had to be very careful around them.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Krijn

Rene de Heer
04-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Very nice Krijn but whatever your explanation, it is taken under controlled conditions, whether they are fenched in within a square kilometer or a square mile, for me it doesnt make any difference. This set up is similar to Ranua in Finland.
Rene de Heer

Alfred Forns
04-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Love the way they look but not sure if there is anything sweet about them !!!!! Can be a terror !!!!

Exceptional feather detail and sharpness !!! Big Congrats on this one !!!!

Krijn Trimbos
04-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Very nice Krijn but whatever your explanation, it is taken under controlled conditions, whether they are fenched in within a square kilometer or a square mile, for me it doesnt make any difference. This set up is similar to Ranua in Finland.
Rene de Heer

Hi Rene,

Thanks for your comment. I do agree with you that it doesn't really matter how big the cages are when calling a condition controlled or not controlled in general. What I was trying to emphasize is the fact that these animals were upredictable, they come from the wild and are put in cages that mirror their natural surroundings exactly, in that case the size of the cage does matter! I know from literature that animals are domestisized faster when they are put in smaller cages and thus large cages will result in the opposite. So in that case (large cage) I don't really feel the situation is all that controlled, I mean we can't really control their behavior can we? So, the area they can move in is controlled, but apart from that there is nothing really controlled about this I think. And with times I was still extremely intimidated by them.

Cheers,
Krijn

Todd Frost
04-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Nice subject with good detail Krijn. Might try to lighten the face slightly, would love to see more of the eyes. Must have been a fun experience. Noting the captivity is all that needs said here, we aren't here to do anything but enjoy and comment on your image (captive, wild or semi-wild).

Al, you've been with the birds too long. Last time I checked wolverines don't have feathers (" Exceptional feather detail and sharpness !!!"):D.

Todd

Milo Burcham
04-14-2008, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the explanation. I think there is detail in the dark areas but it seems a little dark [on my monitor] as presented.

Axel Hildebrandt
04-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Great opportunity and well done!

Steve Canuel
04-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Nicely done. The spraying snow is a nice touch. Good detail in showing the thickness of the fur.
Steve

Robert Amoruso
04-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Nice looking image. Great details in the animal as well as the snow which is not easy. I love the snow kicked up by the sudden stop.

Arthur Morris
04-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Great image--love the flying snow--and lots of good discussion. The exposure is perfect. Would not mind seeing the eyes/eye sockets lightened up a tad. To sum up, The animal was in a big cage, and thus the image was created in controlled conditions. It's behavior, however, was unpredictable.

Van Hilliard
04-15-2008, 08:36 AM
The picture is sweet. Wolverines are not! The technical and artistic elements of the photo have been covered. Great job.

Grady Weed
04-15-2008, 02:06 PM
I would have loved to ge there and taken one of these with you. I like everything about it. Artie mentioned the minor nits.

Chris Dodds
04-29-2008, 07:41 AM
Very cool capture of this species. Love it (however it was made).