PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly portrait

Steve Maxson
03-04-2012, 12:21 PM
I took this image last June of a newly emerged dragonfly (body colors were not fully developed yet) that was not quite ready to fly for the first time - in fact, it was sitting on my hand. I neglected to record the species, but it is one of the Clubtails (Family Gomphidae). 5D II, MP-E 65 mm, 1/125, f/16, ISO 400, MT-24EX Macro Twin Flash (diffused), hand held. RAW file processed in CS5. I removed a few pollen grains from the head and used NIK Color Efex Pro 4 (Darken/Lighten Center) to brighten the head a little. NR on background and selective sharpening on the head only. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Julie Kenward
03-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Amazing image, Steve. That diffused twin flash works great...I'd never have guessed you "flashed" it. Love the fact that the colors are so muted, too...really nice to see something at this stage of its life.

Cheryl Slechta
03-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Steve, the detail is incredible and I like the "in your face" look. The antennae look like there's a little robot up there conducting a symphony:S3:

Ken Childs
03-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Very nice in your face capture, Steve! Normally I'd like to see all of the legs included but in this case, it works great as is. Nice DOF considering the lens and as Jules said, you can't tell flash was used. :cheers:

bhavya joshi
03-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Fanta.. Macro. Love the Details and colors.. Totally alien face..:bg3:

jack williamson
03-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Steve you certainely have the twin flash mastered. This is another excellent image from you. Awesome clarity!

Jack