PDA

View Full Version : Robin looking at me

Hazel Grant
03-04-2012, 10:22 AM
First robin of the year. Wondering about cropping? I don't like the patio in the LRC but can't figure out how to crop and leave them out or just leave them in. Other comments?

Nikon D40x, 1/160, manual exp. f 6.3, iso 800, in a shady part of yard, mid morning, 260 mm, 70-300 tampon lens with a 2x teleconverter.

arash_hazeghi
03-04-2012, 11:51 AM
this is a tough one to crop as the OOF patio is distracting, a lower shooting angle with the head parallel to the back of camera is better. The image quality is not great maybe from handshake or poor optics combination...better luck with the next one :)

Marina Scarr
03-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Agree with Arash on the cropping of this guy. I think I would get out there and try again with a lower shooting and and away from the distraction of the patio. If you don't have a feeder or seed, you may want to consider putting out a feeder or seeds where you would actually like him to land...preferably in a place with a clean background and foreground where you have room to photograph the robin, and possibly other species as well. Even more than seeds, yard birds are attracted by water.

Daniel Cadieux
03-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Robins won't come in for seeds, but you can try with worms or grubs (yum!!). I agree with the suggestions (lower and away from distractions)...

Post processing-wise, if this is already cropped then perhaps you have more "ground" beyond the frame at left that you can use to cover the patio?