PDA

View Full Version : Prague castle

Jerry van Dijk
03-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Going through some old images. I visited Prague (Czech Republic) last year and took this image of Prague's castle just after sunset. The camera had some difficulties with the dynamic range, so I had to correct some blown highlights where the lights illuminate the buildings. I made a HDR, but preferred the corrected original image. Any suggestions for further improvement welcome.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, resting on balcony, 22 mm (132 mm equivalent), ISO-100, f/6.3, 3.2 sec, RAW.
ACR6.3/CS5, exposure, recovery, curves, sharpened, NR, painted over some of the highlights on the buildings.

Robert Amoruso
03-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Jerry,

I think it turned out well and meets my expectations, luminosity-wise for this type of image. I think you could crop some of the sky down to the clouds and run some more sharpening on it (looks a bit soft to me).

Brendan Dozier
03-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Great looking castle, and nicely captured and composed, Jerry. Agree about a tad more sharpening.

Jerry van Dijk
03-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks for your comments. Robert, I agree with your cropping suggestion. The clouds may look a bit unsharp from motion blur. We had quite a wind blowing that night, with clouds reaching great speed. I'll see if some extra sharpening may look better.

Andrew McLachlan
03-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Hi Jerry, a lovely castle and I quite like the colors in the sky. If it were mine I might be inclined to crop from the bottom to eliminate the sidewalk / footpath as well for an alternate comp. Since you mention the strong winds I can really notice the blur of the trees in the foreground.

Jerry van Dijk
03-08-2012, 02:58 AM
Thanks Andrew! I actually tried your cropping suggestion, but felt that the image needed some "grounding". With Robert's cropping suggestion, however, cropping from the bottom will probably result in a more balanced composition. I'll try to repost, but work is rather demanding at the moment......:bugeyed:

Jerry van Dijk
03-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Here's the repost, incorporating your suggestions. Thanks again!

Morkel Erasmus
03-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Nice cityscape at night here Jerry. I agree with Robert's original critique, and would add that you could run one more round of sharpening on the repost you just did.