PDA

View Full Version : Mockingbird

Ron Sprunger
03-02-2012, 08:21 PM
This guy was checking me out at Gilbert Water Ranch, not much above eye level. Unobstructed view of the bird, but I had to remove a half dozen OOF branches behind. Critique welcome and appreciated.

Nikon D7000, 200-400 f/4 w 1.4 TC @550 mm, 1/500, f/5.6, ISO 500, manual exposure. Tripod mounted for this. There was only one leg visible on the four frames I shot -- don't know if he had the other one up, or was missing.

Stu Bowie
03-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Hi Ron, I like the slight angled pose, and you have exposed this fellow nicely. Good DOF, and I feel you could tone down the sharpness around the head and beak - looking a touch crispy in that area. Im fine with the vertical comp, but a horizontal would look fine too. If this were mine, removing the branch behind him wont harm the image, as it just comes out from nowhere.

Ron Sprunger
03-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks Stuart. I wondered about that branch -- guess I just got tired of cloning before I got to it. Probably will take out the LLC diagonal in-focus branch as well. Don't know that this little guy is worth all the effort, but every new bird is special to me as a novice, so I want them to be as good as I can make them before they go in the book.

Marina Scarr
03-03-2012, 03:27 PM
I personally really like the vegetatiion behind the bird, but would rather see the entire thing. Therefore, Stuart's idea of a horizontal could work in this case. I think that one "flower" gives the capture a lot of character. Love the angle and details in the bird.

Jonathan Ashton
03-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Fine detail and exposure. The twig on the left with the leaf looked OK at first but as Stu pointed out it comes from nowhere and it does bother me.

jack williamson
03-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Nice and sharp, nice pose. Good job removing the branches, but I would like to see this with all of the branches on the bottom gone. The blacks look a little strong on this bird.

Jack

Ron Sprunger
03-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions, much appreciated, and will help me make a better image.

Ron Sprunger
03-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Jack, I'm puzzled by the "blacks look a little strong..." part. I didn't do much to this image, and the mockingbirds in Arizona are fairly black. I checked my master, and found that I had done nothing but add a little contrast. I do think as posted there may have been a little blue cast, and the image seems to improve with -5 points blue, but that doesn't really affect the blacks noticeably. Can you be more specific on this point?