PDA

View Full Version : Impostor Trumpeter Swan, with a twist

Jack Breakfast
03-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Hello there! This bird really stirred me up when I found him last summer. I was hoping i had discovered some sort of trumpeter/tundra hybrid - the yellow was symmetrically distributed on both sides, but the bird was big, trumpeter-sized. I knew that the yellow color wasn't quite right, and I knew that the shape of yellow in the lores wasn't quite right, but still I couldn't dismiss the bird so quickly! Many of our Ontario trumpeter swans have been tagged with unsightly yellow tags. I was able to speak to Harry Lumsden, the gentleman who tagged this bird (#C24) in the first place, who told me of the bird's parentage. I was also in touch with the beautiful birdmaster David Sibley, who confirmed that this bird was an unusual trumpeter swan, and not a hybrid. Anyhow, this photograph was taken with the Nikon D90 and 70-300VR at 210mm. iso220, 1/1250, f10. I would possibly clone out some of the semi-distracting white spots if I were willing/able to learn how! Otherwise, I do hope you'll enjoy this portrait of a strange trumpeter swan. I encourage your comments and suggestions.

Karl Egressy
03-02-2012, 09:57 AM
The shape of the beak does indicate that it is a Trumpeter Swan. Many times the Tundra Swans do't have yellow in the beak but the shape is always a give away. Great portrait shot.

arash_hazeghi
03-02-2012, 10:20 AM
excellent head shot, sharp and well exposed. nice BG. my only suggestion is to move it to the left so there is more space to the right where the swan is looking at

Melissa Groo
03-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Really nice head portrait. Great details and exposure, Jack. Interesting story behind this, thanks for sharing.

Jack Breakfast
03-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Thanks so much, folks. Arash, I must tell you that prior to joining this forum a scant 2 mos. ago I never gave a moment's thought to the idea of leaving space where the bird is looking/walking! One of the many important things I've learned from spending time on this delightful forum. And yes, I am in complete agreement with you on that point, but the above shot is full frame, which is to say that I'd have to learn how to add canvas in order to move the bird over, I think? As a matter of further interest (possibly) I am posting another look at the same bird. You'll note a fair-sized chunk missing from the left side of his bill! This was of particular interest to the swan master Harry Lumsden, as he was researching the effects of snapping turtles (!) on trumpeter swans! It's not a great photo by any means and I hope the moderators won't mind my posting a 2nd shot...in so doing I hope to reveal more about this fine bird...

Stu Bowie
03-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Hi Jack, excellent exposure on this fellow, and overall nice and sharp. I do like how the swan pops from the BG. If you are unsure about adding canvas, you can simply crop from behind the swan's head, and it will already create a better comp.

jack williamson
03-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Extremely sharp and full of detail, excellent exposure. Crop from the left. Well done.

Jack

gail bisson
03-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Agree with all of the above! Good IQ and you have to learn to clone and add canvas!! It is quite easy- really.
Gail

Jack Breakfast
03-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Ah! Yes Gail, and thanks...I may get around to that. My brain is semi-agile although I did kill a lot of brain cells over the years. Can you recommend any good resources? PS the IQ is good. I'm surprised! I now have the Canon 70-300L and although it's a much better lens in many ways, the IQ on that cheapo Nikon was surprisingly good!

gail bisson
03-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Hi Jack,
A year ago I didn't know what Lightroom or Photoshop were. I bit the bullet and bought both and bought Artie's digital basics and found a photoshop expert in Halifax and did 2 - 4 hour private sessions with him. I have also learned a lot on this forum and from workshops. I still struggle with the layers concept though. There must be tons of seminars and photoshop tutorials available in Toronto. I know Henry's offers classes,
gail

Jack Breakfast
03-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks kindly, Gail...I keep forgetting about A. Morris' book...that would be helpful, I would think, as bird photography is its central focus. Pardon the moronic pun. Thanks again, it's really nice of you...

Doug Brown
03-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Excellent sharpness with great detail in the whites. Enjoyed the accompanying story too. I like the crop and clone suggestions above.

Stan Cunningham
03-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Jack, like your picture and love your enthusiasm for the species.
I concur with Gail on tackling the learning curve, it's not as tough as you might think.
Also, there are some excellent helpful hints right here on the educational resources forum, was learning from some last night.

Marina Scarr
03-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Very nice capture with a nice smooth background and nice light. I would take some off of the left side and move him out of the middle.

Jack Breakfast
03-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks kindly, folks...very much appreciate the words of encouragement...I agree that there is a wealth of information available right here on this site...to be honest, my problem has more to do with getting into the headspace where I feel I can alter photos. That said, I can already do basic clone stamp work, viz., erasing small specks or dust spots, and I don't have any ethical qualms with that. It's taking that leap to the next level of manipulation (adding canvas, more significant cloning) that doesn't sit as well with me. But of course that's a discussion for another thread. Or better still, let's not have that discussion at all - it's been done to death! Thanks again for the good words, folks...