100mm f/2.8 Macro
Manual mode
1/250"
F16
ISO 100
Canon 430EX: On, Fired
HH
ACR and CS5

Another bug in the lightbox. I think this is Chortophaga viridifasciata. I decided to try for a light reflection so I put a sheet of clear acrylic on top of the white foam board.

Cropped, curves, contrast, cloned out some minor blemishes on the 'hopper, blurred the shadow and reflection, smart and high-pass sharpening.

Steve Maxson
03-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Hi Ken. This is a colorful little guy. I won't be seeing any of these for a while - I need to get back outside and shovel more snow. :S3: You captured a nice pose, I like the comp, and the lighting is well handled. The reflection adds a little different look to the image. I'm wondering if you can squeeze a little more sharpness out of the thorax - it doesn't appear as crisp as the hind leg. Overall, this is very well done!

Julie Kenward
03-04-2012, 08:06 PM
I like it...although I find myself wondering if a tiny bit more black was added back in to the bottom of the curve. It feels just a tiny bit too light to me. (Could just be my monitor though!) I love everything else...great pose and an excellent look at the little guy.

Cheryl Slechta
03-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Ken, hi. I really love the reflection - very cool idea. I'm pretty sure you posted details on the set-up you use - do you know where I can find it? Or am I imagining that?:S3:

Ken Childs
03-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Ken, hi. I really love the reflection - very cool idea. I'm pretty sure you posted details on the set-up you use - do you know where I can find it? Or am I imagining that?:S3:
Cheryl, here's a link to my first 'bug in in the lightbox' post where you'll find more details.
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/92497-Studio-Paper-Wasp

bhavya joshi
03-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Like this one.. different Image this time as Steve says, due to reflection. nice colors, details and light, little more for me also..