PDA

View Full Version : Dipper

Jonathan Ashton
03-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Canon 7D Canon 500mm f4 & 1.4TC 1 ISO 800 1/200 sec f5.6

Boy these little guys can be tricky - had me up and down the river nearly fell in twice! Eventually he stopped to get nesting material. Hope you like it, all C & C welcome.

Lynn David Cole
03-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Nice capture!
You can try running up the fill light to bring up the dark background. I think this would help the composition, but you never know until you try it. ;-)

Jonathan Ashton
03-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks Lynn, I already used fill in, the image is very contrasting.

Allen Sparks
03-01-2012, 03:11 PM
I really like this. Nice behavioral image. Would love a shot of one of these guys myself.

dankearl
03-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Although I think it is not one of better IQ photos, I like something different.
I am not sure I have seen a Dipper posted here, not an easy bird to get.
It looks like a pretty big crop, I would go for a bit looser image for better IQ.
TFS.

Robert Holguin
03-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Real nice shot. I really like the mouth full of green and love the perch. Great pose and very nice light.
Well done.

Jonathan Ashton
03-02-2012, 04:17 AM
Although I think it is not one of better IQ photos, I like something different.
I am not sure I have seen a Dipper posted here, not an easy bird to get.
It looks like a pretty big crop, I would go for a bit looser image for better IQ.
TFS.

Dan this is almost full frame just a minor readjustment for composition, I was pleased with the quality, I would be interested to read what it is that you think is lacking.

Stu Bowie
03-02-2012, 05:31 AM
Hi Jon, a perfect pose you have captured here, good HA, and showing off his nesting material. I like how the colours of the Dipper blend into each other, and the whites on the chest look spot on. Comp wise, if this were mine - I would have gone the other way, with less space on top, and a little more below. I would also darken the pupil to get rid of the vertical catchlight. Sounds like you had fun on this shoot.:w3

Arthur Morris
03-02-2012, 06:12 AM
Though this looks like an ISO 800 image to me IQ seems fine. I love the bird, the pose, the colors, and the image design. And the bit of greenery. It's great that the eye is clear.... If it were mine I would lose the little vertical bit of vegetation just below the eye.

dankearl
03-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Jonathan, I just thought the Dipper looked a bit noisy and your photos never really look like that.
I can't use iso800 with the D7000 and I am not sure the 7D does much better.
I do like it as I said, I have never seen one posted here and I have never gotten a photo of a Dipper.

Daniel Cadieux
03-02-2012, 10:38 AM
I like this alot, including the IQ...I just wish you had pointed your rig down a bit more. I too, in this case, would remove the lower catchlight in order to make the pupil more visible.

Jonathan Ashton
03-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks everyone - Dan thanks for getting back - I am not precious about it I just wondered what I was missing 'cos it looked OK to me.
Stu and Dan, the catchlight -I am a bit of a plonker here, I had two similar images one of which I did precisely what you suggested but this had the better head angle and I forgot to correct the catchlight in this one!
As ever everyone your C&C are much appreciated